Frustrating AC Problem (No Air/Bad Thermostat?)

Old 05-28-15, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frustrating AC Problem (No Air/Bad Thermostat?)

I live in an apartment unit with a HVAC unit. Right now, it turns on, but no cold air comes out - in fact, very little air comes out of the vents. I told my landlord about this, and he called a repairman to come look at it. The guy said that the HVAC unit seems to be working absolutely fine, and he didn't know why it was having issues. He suggested it might be a dirty filter, so I switched the filter out. I turned it back on after we had left it off for a few days, and cold air started coming out. However, recently it's gone back to the same problem.

Also frustrating is that the thermostat and internal unit don't seem to be cooperating. I'll tell it to turn off, but it might be a few to several minutes before it turns off. I set it to cool, but - again - it might a few to several minutes before it would turn on.

I dunno if this means anything, but sometimes when it turns off, I hear a clicking noise in the AC unit.

I'm frankly pretty frustrated that the repairman would look at it and just say, "Dunno what the problem is" and leave. If you go to the doctor's office vomiting profusely, but you seem otherwise healthy, I don't think they'd be like, "Well, dunno what your issue is" and send you home. I have a wife and baby daughter, so I want this resolved as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I emailed my landlord about it again, but if there's something I can do, I'm more than happy to do it. Here is some AC unit information:

PRODUCT NO: FB4CNF018T00ABAA
MODEL NO: FB4CNF018

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-15, 10:57 AM
Did the tech take a look at the A-coil? Could be dirty. There are some time delay relays in that unit.

Old 05-28-15, 12:03 PM
As mentioned by the previous post, it could be dirty A-coil, or if you turn it off for a day, then turn it back on, you get cold air. that indicates the a-coil may be frozen..call the tech back, ask him check it again.

Old 05-29-15, 10:01 AM
Well; U may never get help from a Landlord situation. There is a possibility that U could call an HVAC contractor providing you have adequate documentation of the situation the Landlord might have to reimburse you.
Trip the breakers OFF to the furnace & outdoor condenser; then check the indoor blower wheel blades for lint build-up; if there is buildup then the A--Coil needs cleaning!
----- If U get it working here's HOW U check its performance...
Many valid performance tests have shown that air conditioning systems 'on the average' only deliver to the conditioned areas between 59 to 63% of their Nominal Rated Performance. It pays huge dividends to check performance as that also just might save the compressor from failing! Indoor airflow also needs to be STRONG; many techs don't even check airflow at all.

Simple easy anyone can do ways to check the performance of your central air conditioner; if needed; you can call an Energy Efficiency HVAC Technician or some power companies may do some of it.

If U want me to run a ballpark analysis of how your system is performing in respect to its ‘Nominal Rated Btuh’ I need at least the following numbers.

You will need to call a good HVAC Contractor to fix the performance problems we find.

Performance Data Collection – Best Time to collect data is late afternoon around +4:30 pm, when attic is HOT; also when outdoor temps are around 85F to 95F.

*All U need is a good air-temp probe thermometer (digital reading in tenths preferable) and a low cost 'Indoor Humidity Gauge' you can get at Walmart or most hardware stores or over the Internet.

1) Helpful: condenser 'Tonnage' & SEER Rating of Unit &/or model number:
FIRST; We need to know the 'Indoor' % of Relative Humidity______ %

2) TXV or, orifice metering device? _______. Only if U know; not critical…

3) Outdoor condenser’s discharge-air-temperature ___F

Subtract Outdoor air temperature: _____F

Outdoor Condenser Air-Temp-Split ___F

4) Need the ‘Indoor’ percent of relative humidity - in the middle of the rooms or, at Return-Air inlet grilles ___

5) Indoor Return-Air Temperature ___ F

Subtract Indoor Supply-Air Temperature __F

Indoor temperature-split ___F

Click-on “Reply with Quote” Fill the #numbers in where the blanks were; then Copy & paste in your Return e-mail or Click-on “Reply with Quote” then write something below the quote so you can send it