please help .... trying to figure out what is wrong with my Goodman

Old 05-30-15, 03:12 PM
please help .... trying to figure out what is wrong with my Goodman

my AC always worked fine, today I turned it on for the first time this season. no cold air was coming from the vent so I went outside to realize the fan was not spinning. I took the top off enough to get my hand in there and try to help the fan spin but that did not work. I think the unit itself is working because it is admitting a loud humming noise. when I try to spin the fan it moves very easily but not by itself. so I do not think the fan is seized. my unit is only about five years old and the capacitor looks to be in perfect condition no bulges or anything. when I touch the fan motor it is pretty warm so I think the fan motor is getting power but maybe the motor is just burnt out. I'm just trying to figure out what my problem is so I can buy the part and replace it. any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-15, 03:34 PM
Don't run the outside unit (compressor/condenser) for any length of time without the fan running, as the compressor will overheat. Your fan problem could be caused by either a bad capacitor or a bad motor. The capacitor is much cheaper than the motor, and is probably worth trying first (unless you know someone that has a capacitor tester and can test the capacitor). However, since the fan motor won't start when given a push, plus the fact that it's hot, indicates that the motor is likely the problem. So, it's up to you to decide whether to try a new capacitor, or go directly for a new motor & capacitor. Be advised that the replacement motor may require a different value capacitor than the current (old) motor.

Old 05-30-15, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Well put Bob...... I concur.