Removing AC cover in house to access the evaporator coil for cleaning.

Old 05-31-15, 09:19 AM
Removing AC cover in house to access the evaporator coil for cleaning.

Good afternoon.

My AC unit freezes up from time to time and I want to clean the furnace evaporator coil in hopes that this will help. I researched how to do this online and it seems pretty straight forward...That being said when I went to remove the cover I realized the pipes (I recognize this is probably not the correct terminology) run through the cover and I cannot remove the cover without disconnecting all of the pipes.

For all of the DYI examples I have found it appears the sheet metal was cut around the pipes and thus why others can access their evap coil. Per picture 2 below is it ok if I have take a dremel and cut the sheet metal on the red, then seal with foil tape post cleaning?

Thank You

Name:  evap coil.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  38.7 KBName:  Slide1.jpg
Views: 2974
Size:  30.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-15, 12:13 PM
is the filter clean??? a system that freezes up means it could also be low on charge, a refrigerant leak poss, to get to the coil do not cut the red are u have noted that will tell you nothing you need to pull the front door off by removing the exhaust pipe, and th esilver tape around the drain and lineset you might have to cut the drain to raise the coil just enough to look under the coil, the front metal door should slide back enough for u to look under the coil

Old 05-31-15, 05:39 PM
It would appear that that panel was in place before the pipes were installed,have you checked to see if there is another panel either on the back or side? I would remove that tape a have a look inside before I attempted to do any cutting.
Geo

Old 05-31-15, 05:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I wanted to know if that coil was clean I would measure the temperature entering the furnace and above the coil.

I would also consider removing the blower assembly in the furnace and snapping a few pics of the coil from that area to see if it is clean.

You risk cutting a refrigerant line trying to get to the coil and you may not be able to view the dirty side of the uncased coil for your efforts with your approach.

Old 06-02-15, 08:43 AM
Cut the face panel, cleaned the coils (which had never been cleaned), foil taped every gap, and AC is working a lot better.

The original install was done incorrectly as it prevented the access panel from being removed for cleaning.

Old 06-03-15, 06:06 AM
That's great! Glad to hear you got inside without any damage.
Geo