Trane air handler blower not always running

Old 05-31-15, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane air handler blower not always running

I'm having the same problem after 9 years of flawless service from my Handler, ive had a tech out here and they can't seem to find a problem, they checked the wiring behind my thermostat in my air handler, checked voltage, he doesn't seem to think that its the blower because he says that usually they either blow or don't or make some sort of noise if going out, the blower blows at full speed and when it does it doesn't seem to have any problems doing it and seems to think its the fan control board but really isn't sure and is calling Trane in the A.M.
What are the chances that its my actual Thermostat causing all of these problems?

Its starting to drive me nuts all of this turning on and off and sometimes not coming back on until I raise it above the temp in the house for 2 mins and then lower the temp back down a couple again until it decides to come on again.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-15, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We don't like to have more than one problem in a thread as it gets confusing. Your problem is different then in the thread you posted in.

Your blower fan doesn't always come on...... do I have that correct ?
In that other thread it wouldn't always shut off.

There could be several things keeping the blower from running.... a defective capacitor, a defective motor, a defective thermostat or thermostat wiring problem, a defective fan relay/control board.

You would need a test meter (VOM) to test voltages. Otherwise it will just be a guess on your part.

Old 06-01-15, 07:42 AM
The name of the thread that I replied to was

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...rning-off.html

And this is the same problems I'm having regardless if the "Off" is before the "On" Theirs is running, mines is running when the problem happens.

If you would have read my post I said that he tested the connections and everything was fine.

He just called, he said that he spoke with Trane and they said that it could be the fan but it would be smart to switch out both the circuit board as well, costing $1500.00.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-01-15 at 08:48 AM. Reason: inserted thread link
Old 06-01-15, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
So I have it wrong..... sometimes your fan is on when it shouldn't be..... is that correct ?
If that is correct... how can it be a defective motor. A motor doesn't turn itself on.

Old 06-01-15, 09:54 AM
Yeah, his problem seems to happen even with the thermostat disconnected where mine does not.

I don't think its the fan either because like right now its blowing just fine and has been most of the morning.