York Air Split System Start-up Problem

Old 05-31-15, 10:34 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
York Air Split System Start-up Problem

Hi..thank you in advance for any and all light shed on this problem. I have an older (15 yrs.?) York split system central air unit with a problem that has me stumped. I'm a novice with limited knowledge of the system. Anyway, it's the beginning of the season so I turned the thermostat on to cool, set at 70*. After about 4 hours I noticed that it had only gotten down to about 75* in about 80* weather inside/outside. I'm aware that there is a slow leak in the inner coil which requires me to have the system charged every other year, so I had the HVAC guy come out the other day and he gave a 2.5 lbs. charge. Problem solved, or so I thought. After he left, same thing..set to 70* but would only get to 75*. Upon checking the outside unit, I noticed that the fan wasn't spinning, and there was just a buzzing sound. I figured a bad capacitor and replaced. Fan then instantly kicked on. Now, here's the problem where I'm at now: when I turn the thermostat to cool, the compressor kicks on, the fan spins freely as it should for about 20-30 seconds then everything shuts off. After about 30 seconds the system attempts to kick on again, however (here's the interesting part) the fan will not spin, and if I attempt to manually get it going by trying to get the blade spinning by pushing it with a screwdriver, there is heavy resistance with the motor; that is, I can get the blades to turn (only as far as I can move them with the screwdriver, not on its own). All the while there is a buzzing noise. This lasts for aprox. 30 seconds then the whole unit shuts off. After the unit shuts off, the blades will then again spin freely without any resistance. Soooo...bad motor?? If so, why would it kick on freely, and act up the same way (as described above) exactly the same every time I try to get it to cycle? Meaning the motor won't seize, work, seize, etc. It does the exact same thing every time I try to cycle it. I apologize for the long-winded description, I'm just trying to give as much info as possible. Again, thank you in advance to anyone who can possibly shed some light...

Old 06-01-15, 02:07 AM
S
I think it's time to replace the motor.

Old 06-01-15, 05:14 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Can you determine what is buzzing? Is it the Contactor?can you post a wiring Dia?
Geo

Old 06-09-15, 09:51 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Sorry for the delay in replying. I posted this problem the day before leaving for vacation. I thought I'd have the privilege of wi-fi where I was going...I was wrong! So, I had to wait until I returned. Please forgive my tardiness! Anyway...I determined that the buzzing is coming from the fan motor itself. Loud buzz within the motor not from the contactor. I'm sorry but I looked throughout the material left with the unit when it was installed. There's a diagram for EVERYTHING it seems, EXCEPT for the wiring in the unit (of course). There is a diagram posted inside the cover that you remove on the unit to get to the wiring, but unfortunately the elements has worn it to the point that it isn't legible. Sorry, I know that's not much help. I figured I would go ahead and try to switch the motor out since the loud buzzing is definitely coming from the motor. Agree?? Thank you again guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: