Replacing transformer on 18yr old Rheem.

Old 06-01-15, 04:29 PM
Replacing transformer on 18yr old Rheem.

Rheem unit is so old, and tech that was out last blew transformer by attaching to 12ov....this was discovered by the Engineer chosen to look at our claim of a lightening strike that the previous Technician told us hit our unit! Engineer found unit worked great, tech should work elsewhere! He also told us where to get transformer, now we just need to get it wired up. PLEASE HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-15, 04:38 PM
Are you willing to send me a round-trip, first class airline ticket as well as overnight accommodation in a four-star hotel with limo service to and from the airport, hotel and your house? I'll be glad to come hook up your transformer.

OR, like the title of the forum, are you willing to Do It Yourself? The new transformer will connect up exactly the same as the old.

One other point, at 18 years of age your furnace is entering into its "twilight years" and may need to be replaced before too long. I would suggest that you start saving up for this eventuality.

Old 06-01-15, 04:56 PM
Thank you for your quick and witty response! We are putting transformer in a unit that the technician left the blown transformer sitting disconnected out of. We realize the unit will need to be replaced in near future, however not today or anytime too soon as the entire unit was inspected and working great and reported in very good condition for age. We are planning on doing this ourselves, with help from forum....hopefully. I am trying to upload pic now. Thank you.

Old 06-01-15, 05:27 PM
Just checking to see if wired properly.

Attached Images   
Old 06-01-15, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Those pictures are too small to be of help. The board only allows small pictures.
Are those from your phone..... you can host them or send them to me to host.

18 years is not that old for a furnace.

Old 06-01-15, 06:19 PM
Sent you a pm not quite sure how to get pics to you....and yes they were taken by phone.

Old 06-01-15, 07:02 PM
I'm glad that you saw the humor in my post, truth is, I refuse to fly anymore due to the silly TSA...but that's a different story.

I am somewhat bothered by the fistful of wire nuts that I see in the picture, why are they there? Did this furnace not have a proper terminal strip for the thermostat wiring?

I can tell you this, the two black wires on the transformer will go to the 120 volt side and the two not-black wires will go to the 24 volt side. There should be a wiring diagram on one of the furnace enclosure panels.

AND, despite what PJ posted, 18 years IS getting up in years for a furnace. Of course some last longer but many don't. Even if the heat exchanger is okay there are other items that may be on the verge of failing. My own furnace at the age of 17 needed new burners. While I could have bought replacements they cost $200 each and I needed 3. That would have been $600 into a 17 year old furnace that could have been replaced with a similar unit for about $800. I chose instead to get a new furnace with a couple of enhancements and while it cost about $2700 installed I have never regretted that purchase.

Old 06-01-15, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this a Furnace with gas heat or is it an Air Handler with electric heat?

A Rheem furnace is usually 120 volts and a Rheem air handler is usually 240 volts.

Old 06-01-15, 07:59 PM
240v old electric rheem....no terminal strip and no diagram....this would have made our job easy! Lol

Old 06-01-15, 08:44 PM
Sounds to me like there is likely at least a low voltage short some where. The reason I think that is why was the tech working with the transformer in the fist place? Transformers usually blow for a reason. Also how do you know he wired it wrong if you found it disconnected?

Old 06-01-15, 09:17 PM
The tech had said possibility of a lightening strike, so insurance company sent an engineer out to check on claim. He did a complete inspection and hooked his own transformer up. Nice, we had an answer, but, he had to leave things like he found them...:/ So, have to deal with the rats nest of wires. Seems they used different wire colors than Rheem specs, and with better than half being loose as well. Head scratcher for me!!!!

Old 06-02-15, 06:51 AM
Lightning strikes can cause problems. But they are usually high voltage problems. I can't recall one ever taking out a low voltage transformer. But all things are possible, especially when it comes to electric. My money is on the original tech not knowing/diagnosing the problem correctly.

Old 06-02-15, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
Rheem unit is so old, and tech that was out last blew transformer by attaching to 12ov
Why was the tech there in the first place ? Apparently the unit was dead when he arrived ?

It sounds like he tried connecting a 120v transformer to 240v.
Lightning doesn't have to hit the house to cause a surge in the neighborhood. I replace transformers in many appliances that mysteriously go bad.

I sent you a PM back yesterday.

Old 06-02-15, 09:34 AM
Called tech for repair because it stopped working. Found out battery went dead in thermostat, which was just something that so happened to be on same night as storm. No other outages. Batteries replaces in thermostat got that to work. Fact is that AC unit works with transformer placed in properly. Proven fact is tech tried to place new transformer in and connected to 120volt, he left the proof. Another fact, Engineer placed another transformer in 240v and ran AC unit with no problems. Fact, we have replacement part as required by rheem...spoke to rheem parts directly then ordered elsewhere....on hand to put in unit. Last fact, we have no idea how what wires go where. Oooops....definitely last fact we're still at step one.