Help with outside AC unit

Old 06-04-15, 12:49 AM
Help with outside AC unit

Wondering if someone could throw a bit of knowledge my way about my home AC problem. The AC unit stopped cooling tonight and its a problem with the outside unit. The motor on the top of the unit (I'm assuming its the condensing motor) was not kicking on and was pretty damn hot to the touch. I'm thinking that its that motor which has crapped out on me and needs replacing but the only thing that's weird is that it can still freely spin by hand. When I returned power to it when I had turn it off and it had cooled down it would make a hum (as if it was trying to turn over) and a second hum would happen periodically (I'm thinking that's the relay trying to kick the motor on). Basically does this sound about right? The number of the motor is f48f97a76 by the way. Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-15, 06:27 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like you're on the right track. The hum theory sounds correct. Do you have a multimeter to double check that juice is getting, to the motor?

Old 06-04-15, 07:13 AM
While the condenser fan motors do sometimes fail, a much more frequent failure item is the motor capacitor. You can try the "stick test" to help determine if the capacitor is bad. Set the thermostat to call for cooling and go outside to the compressor/condenser (outside) unit. Take a stick or screwdriver and try giving the fan blade a nudge. If the fan starts turning, it's almost certainly the capacitor that's failed. They are relatively inexpensive. Don't run the outside unit for any length of time without the condenser fan running as the compressor will overheat.

I don't think you need to check to see if the motor is getting voltage. If it weren't, it wouldn't be hot.