Help - AC Air Handler does not turn on

Old 06-07-15, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help - AC Air Handler does not turn on

Looking for advice on troubleshooting an air handler. Problem description is as follows:

Thermostat fan setting to on, but no air coming through ducts. Checked circuit breakers and voltage behind thermostat (RC - W) and received 26 VAC. Outside heatpump fan turns on normally.

Things I'm about to check: Air handler is in the attic, will check the relay to hear if it energizes when thermostat fan switch is set to ON, and inspect for ice, water in safety switch (not sure if this is equipped or not), and control board fuse if blown. Question I have though: If the voltage is correct at the thermostat, would this also mean the control board is operating normally?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-15, 10:28 AM
Are you trying to run it in heat mode?

Old 06-07-15, 10:31 AM
No, only in cold mode, forgot to mention that.

Old 06-07-15, 10:55 AM
Take off R and G wires at stat and twist them together. See if the blower starts.

Old 06-07-15, 11:09 AM
I just got back down from the attic and confirmed that the blower motor isn't turning when the system is on, additionally there's water leaking out of a pipe fitting with water dripping down to the section where the motor assembly is located. I'll try jumping R and G and see if that does anything.

Old 06-07-15, 11:48 AM
I got it going.... I had the system off for about 30 minutes in case there was any ice formed anywhere on the condenser and wiped all traces of water drips. I reset the fuse on the control board, and then turned the system back on, and now I have air going through the vents. I'm not sure what I fixed, but I'm not complaining, I'll inspect the unit for leaks throughout the day.