Cool Air Barely Blowing From Vent--Not Getting Cold Inside The Apartment?

Old 06-08-15, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Air Barely Blowing From Vent--Not Getting Cold Inside The Apartment?

I live in Texas. Right now, the outside temperature is 86 F with 63 Humidity.

Inside is 79 F with 63 Humidity. As the temp outside rises, so does the inside.

Is this normal? I'm trying to understand Humidity, etc., so please help if you can. During Summer, how much of a difference should it be between indoor and outdoor Temp/Humidity?

When placing my hand next to the vent, the air is barely blowing cool air, not hot air, but the inside of my apartment isn't getting cold even after hours of being set below 75. The numbers are going up at night time which seems odd to me being the sun has went down.

About three weeks ago, my bathroom ceiling was leaking... the maintenance man said it was freon and did something to stop it from dripping. HOWEVER, for the last two weeks--the apartment isn't cooling properly.

My apartment maintenance men are acting like there's no problem, getting frustrated, just took some hand held device, placed it to the air vent then said the air is cool, failing to realize that it's not cooling the apartment all over however... the last one told me to keep it at 69/70 instead of 75 as if that'll make a difference--all it's doing is running the electric bill sky high meanwhile the inside of my apartment still isn't cooling.

PLEASE let me know if these numbers are normal or what the difference should be as I'm feeling very sick and uncomfortable in here. I'm calling again tomorrow. I need to know what to tell them, because if it's not normal and they give me that excuse again, then I'll see about legally moving out as I'm feeling miserable inside here. I work from home, so it's a mess! THANK YOU!

The inside temp is now 79 F with 66 Humidity even though the thermostat has been set to 70 for hours. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-15, 10:51 PM
Check the following: (1) You want the cool air temperature (from the vent) at least 15 degrees lower than your room temperature. You can hold a small thermometer in front of the vent and measure the cool air temperature yourself.
If your room temperature at that time is 80 degree, you want the cool air temperature 65 or lower. We call this difference 'Delta-T', so tell the maintenance man you want to see Delta-T at least 15. If not, The AC has problem. (2) Air flow from the vent has to be strong, without the tool, it is hard to measure how strong the air flow is, but in general, you want to be able to feel the cold air from the vent at least 8 feet away. So until you have good Delta-T and good air flow, by changing the Thermostat setting will not work. By the way, freon does not drip, that was not freon, may be water from clogged AC drain pipe. Hope this help, post back if you have more questions.

Old 06-08-15, 11:19 PM
Thank you so much! Earlier, when the maintenance man tested, it read 63 near the vent, but my ACU-RITE which was sitting on a table in the living room was reading 77/78 for room temp.

Unfortunately, all the vents are at the top near the ceiling else I'd just lay next to them to get a breeze. WOW. You stated 8 feet away... no, this goes nowhere near that. You'd have to be within 1 foot of the vent, standing in a chair to feel the air from the vent.

For the most part, the inside temp is staying about the same as the outdoor temp. I even tried testing the heater which seems to not b getting hot as usual either.

I'm not exactly sure how these apartments are designed which is different from my last. All I know is that he confirmed that the outside ac units are on the roof, not ground and my bathroom has a big square on the ceiling that can be opened once pushing these knobs to the side--that's where the so-called Freon was leaking. Interesting, you're the second person to say it doesn't drip, so this man is just telling me anything to shut me up.

Thank You so much!

Old 06-09-15, 09:32 AM
If the vent air temp is 63, then you get a Delta-T around 14 or 15 (77-63, or 78-63). It is not very good, but not too far off. So the problem is air flow, you need strong cold air blow into the room to cool the room down. Most common causes of weak airflow are dirty filter, dirty coil, or frozen coil due to lack of Freon. Also, you get 63 vent air temp may be because the air flow is now weak, once you have strong air flow, that vent air temp may become 68 and that is not acceptable. they go hand in hand, one affects the other. So call the maintenance man again, he should go to the roof to check the condenser unit and go up to your bathroom ceiling to check the coil, if not, he is not doing his job.

Old 06-09-15, 01:04 PM
The indoor humidity level has by far the biggest effect on what the indoor temp-drop-split will be; low airflow will also tend to make the drop greater/split-higher.

Also, check outdoor condenser discharge air temp compared to the outdoor temp.
Higher indoor humidity increases the outdoor temp-split.

Get a ACU-RITE HUMIDITY GAUGE about $8.94 at Walmart; may also find it on the Internet.

They need some simple Tech Skills... how can service be worse?