Fuse keeps blowing

Old 06-14-15, 09:01 AM
Fuse keeps blowing

Hello hope everyone is having a good day and hope someone can help me on mine. My AC stopped working I figured out it had blown a fuse on the board on the inside unit. In turn I got a box of them and I replaced it and within 30 mins it had blown again. Hoping someone can help me Figure out what is wrong and fix it soon.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-15, 09:57 AM
It sounds like something is drawing too much current. If you had a short circuit, I would expect the fuse would blow instantly. One possibility is a bad coil on the contactor in the outside unit. Turn the power off to the outside and inside units and disconnect the two low voltage control wires that run from the house to the outside unit, where they attach to the outside unit's internal wiring. There should be wire nuts connecting the two sets of wires (wires coming from house to internal wiring) together. Then turn the power back on to the inside unit (leave outside powered off) and set the thermostat for cooling. The outside unit won't come on (because you disconnected the wires and turned the power off to it), but check to see if the fuse blows. If it doesn't blow, then you likely have a bad contactor. If the fuse still blows, then the problem is likely indoors.

Report back what you find.

Old 06-14-15, 12:26 PM
I still would check the stat wires outside at the unit. Most of the time that is where the short is. Bob gave a good plan to try. If this is a heatpump it could be other things including reversing valve. Inspect the stat wire closely.

Old 06-15-15, 01:43 AM
Many times the low voltage cable going into the condenser unit is not protected by LiquidTite or greenfield flex . It can be damaged by pets , vermin or weed eaters .

God bless
Wyr