Name:  carrier_ac_ALL1.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  50.8 KBName:  carrier_ac_specs1.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  48.5 KBName:  carrier_ac_CircuitBRDall.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  51.1 KBName:  carrier_ac_compressor1.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  49.8 KBHope someone is able to trouble shoot this Carrier unit…even though it has a circuit board. Just a quick setup… My mom’s AC unit..it appears was installed in 2009….. IT’s always had problems. The last 2-3 years…. When summer hits… the unit would fail to come on. The BLOWER fan starts up downstairs and blows air…but the outside unit does nothing.

We called the ac tech one time and when he came out… he turned the thermostat for AC to come on…and of course it came on….SO…it’s
been an intermittent problem the last 2-3 years. It worked fine last summer but now it’s not working again.

I have uploaded some pictures. Please let me know what others I need to show you guys. I did check the voltage in to the circuit board and it shows 247 volts.
There are some informational prints on inside cover that talks about
reset buttons on the circuit board. I pressed those..not knowing what it should do.

What is my first step in diagnosing what’s wrong? Thanks for your help in advance.
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-15, 02:04 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Since you've determined that you have 240VAC going to the outside unit, the next step would be to manually activate the contactor. The contactor is a relay that is controlled by the 24VAC from the thermostat. When the thermostat calls for cooling, it sends 24VAC to the contactor, which is then energized and pulls the contacts down, sending 240VAC to the compressor and condenser fan.

Take an insulated (plastic) screwdriver or piece of wood (something non-metal) and push in on the contactor contacts. If the compressor and condenser fan come on, then you either have a bad contactor, or it doesn't have the 24VAC present (when calling for cooling). Normally, the contactor side terminals are the 24VAC connections.

Try manually depressing the contactor and let us know what happens.

Old 06-22-15, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RHEEM PRESTIGE not Carrier can't edit main thread subject. Can't find 24v relay

Name:  RHEEMciruitBOARDrelay.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  52.1 KBName:  rheemBLOWERwiring1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  51.4 KB

Hi,
Sorry...I made a mistake..this unit is a RHEEM PRESTIGE. I can't see where to edit my original post. I'm uploading 2 more pictures. I circled one time that I think is a relay but it's not open where I can push a springed contact. I did see a wound converter?? that looks like you would have on a home doorbell inside the blower area..... but no contacts. Sorry I made a mistake on brand if that makes a difference. Circuit board on downstairs and outside unit.

RHEEM PRESTIGE not Carrier can't edit main thread. Can't find 24v relay

Old 06-22-15, 04:16 PM
Your pictures are somewhat on the small side, so it's hard to see exactly what's in them. However, the object that you pointed to with the arrow is NOT the contactor that I was referring to. You may have better luck finding the contactor by following the 240VAC wires where they come into the outside unit. The 240VAC wires should connect directly to the contactor. If you need to poke around inside the outside unit to find the contactor, you should turn off the power to the outside unit before moving any wires. After you find the contactor, you can turn the power back on and try depressing the contactor.

Old 06-22-15, 04:20 PM
If you look at some of the messages in this post: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...any-noise.html you'll see some pictures of contactors to give you some idea of what you're looking for.

Old 06-22-15, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
I edited the title for you.

I'm looking at the manual for this unit. There is no contactor. There is a special relay. This is a highly complex unit and is almost out of the DIY repair area.

There should be an LED display on the electronic board displaying a status or fault code.

Check for 24vac on the thermostat terminals on the right side of the board.
You should measure 24vac from R to C and when unit is calling for cool.... 24vac from Y1 to C also.

R – 24VAC from the indoor unit 24VAC transformer (40 VA minimum)
C – 24VAC Common from the indoor unit 24VAC transformer
Y1 – Call for unit operation (cooling)

Old 06-22-15, 05:46 PM
Found manual that shows thermostat lead to circuit board. Shows 27 volts.Fuse ok

Okay...Yes. Thanks for the link. I did see those posts earlier and they didn't apply to my unit...at least on the contact relay...etc...Name:  rheemCIRCUITboardTHERMOSTAT_R_C_connection.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  50.3 KB

I guess this unit since it has a circuit board it won't have the contact relay. I found a manual online that shows R&C as the thermostat and it shows 27 volts. I also checked an inline fuse.. There is an LED flashing codes of 2 and 7 and I'm not sure how to interpret those. They act like it means the Freon is low...but why would that keep the unit from starting....??

Old 06-22-15, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
A 2 is low or high pressure trip. Since those sensors are self resetting...... the system must be currently low on refrigerant.

The compressor can't be run on low refrigerant or it'll be damaged..... that's why it's not running.

R to C should always measure 24vac.
When the thermostat calls for cool...... the Y1 should measure 24vac to C.
Remember.... some thermostats have up to a 5 minute delay on a call for cooling to protect the compressor from short cycling.

Old 06-22-15, 05:52 PM
Rheem.. didnt' see your post..I didn't know to check y1

Hi,

I guess I should have refreshed my browser...didn't know you posted. I didn't check y1.... but will have to do that tomorrow... but the R&C shows 27 volts...
and the codes flashing are 2 and 7....
Thanks for editing main subject

Old 06-22-15, 05:56 PM
Why would you have to add freon every year?

Okay... we passed again.... I remember my mom having to have Freon added almost every year, I don't understand why this 2009 unit can't be fixed for good on the Freon side.... I guess we'll have to call out the tech but will get someone else....I'm not going to use the person my mom has used for 20 years. Thanks so much for your help

Old 06-22-15, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
A slow leak may not be easy to find. Ask the technician to check for a leak before recharging. Many carry refrigerant detectors and some carry good ones.

Since it's a fairly new system it will most likely be at a brazed fitting, a union fitting or at the service valves.....possibly the schrader valves.