converting freezer ac to heat pump

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-15, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
converting freezer ac to heat pump

Hi!
signed up here because it looks like there is some skilled peole here:-)
hope you can help me out!

I have got a old unused Thermia modul 25(water-water), a freezer air condition pump running on R502.

I have a old,closed ground-mine nearby the house that is pouring out warm water year around that I planned to run through a heat pump to heat the house!
The problem is that is seems that the R502 only heats the water to about 20*c (70*F) effective.

IS there any replacement refrigerant that I may use With this compressor that would be compatible With old mineral oil to get this functioning??

Im not doing the work, my hvac guy dous not have any good solution, therefor im asking you:-)

br
Daniel

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-15, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Because in most locations you need to be certified to work with refrigerants we don't offer advice in this area.

There are a few alternate refrigerant choices and what your tech uses will depend a lot on what is available in your area.
As far as increasing performance, replacement refrigerants I am familiar with will actually reduce system capacity so you will not be able to get more heat out of this old equipment than what it was designed for.

Old 06-24-15, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sure, I understand you cannot do that, but maybe point me in the right direction:-)

The pressure-sensors are mechanical, so they may be adjusted for different refrigerant...

The R502 as I understand is not wery well suited for heating?
I know the replacements for r502 usually make the cooling worse, but what im after is another refrigerant that may get this running as a heat pump!

Old 06-24-15, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I can say it another way.
If it does not work well on R-502 it will work no better and likely even with less capacity on any replacement refrigerant available.

The reason your hvac guy can not help you is because the solution you seek is not possible.

Closed Thread