8000btu lg window a/c cycles on and off prematurely

Old 06-24-15, 04:14 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post 8000btu lg window a/c cycles on and off prematurely

even when thermostat is set on 60 degrees, 1 year warranty just expired and problems begins, I moved the thermostat out of the bracket and put it in warm water then hot water but no change, the compressor still cycles off after about 5 minutes of nice cold air to just fan for about 5 to 7 minutes then repeats. hoping someone has the answer. please help

Old 06-24-15, 04:18 PM
P
I also cleaned filter and condenser, is it possible to bypass the thermostat to keep compressor engaged?

Old 06-24-15, 06:29 PM
Something else besides the thermostat is probably shutting the compressor down.

Old 06-27-15, 04:56 AM
W
Is the thermostat electrical / mechanical ? Or electronic ?

Is there a wiring diagram inside the sheet metal cover ? If so , please take a good clear digital photo and post it . I am wondering if the unit has a low pressure cut off ?

Is anything icing up ?

How old is the unit ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-29-15, 06:15 PM
P
hi wyr twister: 8k btu lg cycles on and off

unit 14 mo old, thermostat is a two small wires with a plastic/rubber type bulb on the end attached to plastic/nylon bracket in front of condenser, I moved it to outside of grille, no icing up at all, recleaned condenser fins and blow dried w/air gun, dishwashered the filter, repositioned air louvers and now compressor stays engaged 7to 9 minutes before cutting out, at least its a little better. I cant see if fins of the outside coils are dirty behind the fan, looks like new from the outside fin area. thanks to everyone for all insights, paige

Old 06-29-15, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
I didn't see any model number posted here but some window A/C's have two thermostats or sensors. One controls the cycling and one controls the deicing. There may be a second sensor where you can't see it that senses ice buildup.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: