location of condensate drain line

Old 06-28-15, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
location of condensate drain line

I've been told by an AC contractor that I need an EZ Trap to be able to clean out clogs in the condensate drain line myself. I went to install it into the existing drain line and there is not enough space between the port and the lines where the coolant come in. They won't budge, so I need to relocate to another drain port. Does it matter which port I use? I have a photo but can't seem to upload it.

So to describe, the air handler has it's long side parallel to the ground. There are four holes all near the bottom of the unit, all roughly the same distance up from the bottom edge. Two are together in the lower left corner (one of these is where the current drain line is) and the other set of two is a little further down. The three unused ports just have blue plastic plugs that easily come out.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-15, 06:47 AM
Let's try this for a photo:

Name:  Carrier Air Handler Drain.jpg
Views: 3323
Size:  30.2 KB

Last edited by Houston204; 06-28-15 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-28-15, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
It looks like you also need some pvc glue, a pvc tubing cutter, a 3/4" pvc coupling, a 3/4" pvc male adaptor and a piece of 3/4" pvc to use the same drain connection location. I would use primer when connecting to the old pipe.

Name:  EZ Trap.jpg
Views: 11438
Size:  29.0 KB

The male adaptor is easy to damage. I always glue a piece of pipe onto the male and thread that into the air handler before gluing the trap to the male. I would show up with 2 or 3 male adapators to save a trip back to the store for a 25 cent part.

Old 06-28-15, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Your air handler appears to be in an attic. You should look into connecting the overflow pan into the drain line or make sure your pan has some type of overflow switch that turns off the system if the water backs up.

Old 06-28-15, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info and the help with the photo! Yes, I have all of the materials. And the drain pan has an overflow shutoff switch already.

The main problem is that the lines that are covered with foam insulation don't really leave enough room for this EZ Trap unit to fit. I unscrewed the bracket that secures them to the floor so I was able to get a little movement, but I don't know yet if it's enough. And ultimately those lines will cover up one of the access ports, which kind of defeats the purpose of this new unit....

Old 06-28-15, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Remove the drain line from your unit. Install a 3/4" connector and a 6"-12" piece of PVC pipe and move the trap away from the unit. Just make sure the drain line is well supported.