Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Rheem AC unit is running, but no air is coming through the vents in the house.

Old 06-28-15, 08:46 PM
Upvotes Received: 1

Model: RRGG - 10E37JKR

Thermostat control: White-Rodgers 1F86-244

AC has been working fine for a month or so. Last week i noticed that no air was coming through the vents while the unit was running. I turned the unit off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on again and it worked.

Now it is doing the same thing, but wont return to normal. I reset all the breakers in the house, and the big one out at the AC unit, and made sure the air filter in the house was not dirty. The unit seems to run as normal, but no air is coming in through the vents. Outside at the AC unit, the big fan on top of the unit is running.

Hoping that someone can point me in a good direction to figure out what is going on.

firedawgsatx provided me with this wiring diagram last winter:

Name:  rheemschematicpackageI.jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  49.3 KB

FYI - This is a heating/ac unit... this winter people on the forum here helped me troubleshoot and replace a faulty gas valve on the heating side, and i also replaced a cracked heat exchanger cell. This probably has nothing to do with this issue, but im just letting you know what ive done on the unit.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-15, 09:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 10
I kinda doubt that he drew in the highlights.

Will the fan run if you jump 2 to 4 on the fan relay? (circled brown).

Name:  rheemschematicpackageI.jpg
Views: 4197
Size:  49.5 KB

Old 06-29-15, 11:45 AM
I left the unit off all day yesterday, and today i turned it on just to check before i went outside and jumped the relay you were talking about. To my surprise it started working again... so i'll probably just leave it be until it acts up again. If it stops again, i'll pick up where i left off with your advice.

Thanks!!

P.S. - while researching the problem on the internet i seem to recall someone talking about a condition where something freezes up in the unit (a filter or something?) which causes an issue... i cant remember if the issue they were talking about was what i have going on or not, but is there anything that might have frozen up which would cause no air to come through the vents in the house? Could leaving it off all day in 90 degree weather have let it melt, which is why it started working again today?

Like i said, not sure if anything like that could be going on... it might just be the fan blower intermittently starting to stop working or something.

Old 06-29-15, 12:09 PM
Upvotes Received: 11
If your system is low on refrigerant or the airflow is weak, it's possible for the evaporator coil to freeze up. Since the air passes through the evaporator coil, if it freezes up, it will block the flow of air through it. If the airflow normally stops after it's been on for a certain time (e.g. 1 hour), there's a little experiment you can do to see if it's the evaporator coil freezing up, or the blower stopping. Instead of turning on the A/C, leave the A/C off and set the fan to ON rather than Auto on your thermostat. This will run just the blower without the A/C coming on. If the blower continues to blow air long after it normally stops blowing air (e.g. 1 hour), then it's probably the evaporator freezing up. However, if the airflow still stops after a reasonable time, then the problem is with the blower (most likely the motor or relay). Also, have you felt the blower motor after it's been running for some time? It should be warm, but not hot. If it's hot, that would indicate a problem with the motor.

Old 06-29-15, 12:30 PM
Great tip Bob! I'll report back when i have some more info.