Shades to shade the roof?

Old 06-29-15, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shades to shade the roof?

I rent a 1900 sq ft single story home in the South West with very little shade ever hitting the house. I just paid $60 for a tech to tell me my AC system is blowing 56F air out all the vents and has good freon level, but the AC runs non-stop from 10AM to 7PM just to hold 86F inside. When the new owners turned the 500 sq ft non-ACed garage space into a larger ACed living area they didn't take into account the unit was going to have to work like a dog to keep up. They compounded the problem further by installing big beautiful windows in the new area as well. All this is adding up to one heck of an electric bill and like many I'm on the hunt for ways to help keep cool.

In the backyard I have a few 90% block sun sail shades around the pool. One ever covers a small portion of the roof in the morning and I got to thinking how much would it help to cover the vast majority of the homes roof like this? Granted we're talking hundreds of dollars worth of shading and I suspect it would last a few years at best. Most likely not something I'm actually going to do at a place I rent, but still wondering about the ideas merit.

Thoughts?

Name:  20150629_152343.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  31.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-15, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The shades may make a difference on the large window side. Have you been up in the attic to see if there is adequate insulation? Is there ANY in the add on? If it was a garage, may be not enough. Did the builder incorporate soffit venting and ridge venting to rid the attic of stale hot air? All issues that you could bring up to your landlord.

Old 06-29-15, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 182 Posts
Your second word is key... "rent". That's sorta the end of the discussion. Talk to the landlord about the situation. Upgrading the current system or adding a mini split would be my first thought but those are issues for the landlord.

But yes, shade sails could help keep the home cool just as trees shading the house would. How much would it help depends on the house. How well is it insulated? With a layer of insulation between the attic and conditioned space shading the roof and keeping the attic cooler might not be as big a benefit as you suspect. It certainly wouldn't hurt but it might not yield the results you expect. In the same train of thought you could consider the roof as the shade structure for the insulation. Extra ventilation in the attic might offer benefit.