Is my new unit damaged? Picture inside.

Old 06-30-15, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is my new unit damaged? Picture inside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52675[/ATTACH]

Purchased this window unit about a week ago. Not sure if this is damage to the back or just a natural occurrence. Please advise. This is the back of the unit obviously, the part outside of the window.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-15, 03:17 PM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Someone or something bumped the fins.
There paper thin and soft.
Not going to do any harm.

Old 06-30-15, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The outside condensor of an air conditioner is easily vulnerable to damage. I enlarged a portion of your picture. The red lines are actual tubes that carry the hot refrigerant gas. Between the red lines are fins. The fins are connected to the tubes and help dissipate the heat as the air blows by.

If that tubing gets punctured.... say goodbye to your air conditioner. You need to discourage anyone from hitting it. Where I circled in yellow almost looks like the tubing was hit/bent.

Name:  XC6llb.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  22.7 KB

Old 07-01-15, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Bent fins hurt efficiency and a certain amount of bent fins seems normal as you'll see it on most units if you look. You don't have enough bent fins that I'd worry too much but they do sell combs made for straightening the fins. You can do the same with a regular hair comb if you have one of the right size or you can use a small flat blade screwdriver to tediously straighten out the fins.

If you have kids you don't want them playing ball where it can hit the AC and bend more fins. Worst is a child that thinks it's fun to smoosh over the fins or draw designs by bending the fins. In just a few minutes little hands can bend them all over.

It used to be standard that AC units had a wire or screen guard protecting the coils. As a cost cutting measure many now leave them exposed. If you are handy you can make a guard to protect it.