Outside Fan Not Moving-Compressor Line Not Cold

Old 07-12-15, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside Fan Not Moving-Compressor Line Not Cold

Verrry new to this, do not have an expertise in this.

Woke up to the AC not cooling the house well. Checked the outside unit and discovered that the box that contains what I assume is the fan motor to be open and exposed. The fan is not moving when the AC unit inside is turned on, can not hear if there is a buzzing noise, there is a running unit beside ours (side-by-side condos) and it is 4 a.m. ATM. I will check tomorrow. Going to do the stick test as well. The AC breaker was not tripped. But I am concerned that since we have torrential rains today especially and this week (Florida summers) I think the fan motor was shorted out by the rain and being exposed. I have a call in to our AC guy, but he does not work Sundays and wanted to see if you could provide some help.

Thanks for answering this newbie to the forums. If I am breaking some rules to the boards I apologize ahead of time.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-15, 01:18 AM
You do have a volt - ohm meter ? If not , at least get a cheap one at Harbor Freight .

You should have a disconnect near the air conditioner condenser unit ( outside ) .

Turn the disconnect off . Check yo be sure you have power coming to the disconnect .

When the tstat is set to cool , does the inside fan come on ?

God bless
wyr

Old 07-12-15, 01:42 AM
Wow thank you for the fast response!!

Do not have an ohm meter, but there is a Harbor Freight close to us, so I will pick one up tomorrow.

When the tstat is set inside on cool, unit inside runs as usual, husband stated that he noticed it was not turning off. The air that is blowing inside is not cold, so we checked the outside unit, found that the fan was not running and the box was open. We have turned off the AC completely, at the moment.

We get our AC serviced every year and it is an older unit. We were planning on having it replaced when it cools down so out AC guy doesn't have to sit in the 110-120 degree heat index weather. Might happen this week now.. but if it is something little like switching out a part I would like to try to do it myself.

Inside unit info:
Rheem Model RBHA - 17J11NUGAI Volts 208-240VAC Motor H.P/F.L.A 1/4 2.0

I will get the outside unit info when it is not dark 30.