A/C unit and thermostat turn off

Old 07-14-15, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C unit and thermostat turn off

My AC unit goes off and the screen of my thermostat goes blank. If I pull the outside fuse for 10 mins and put it back on the thermostat turns back on for a while but just says "waiting" for a while and then the whole thing turns off again. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-15, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Locate the air handler inside the house. There is a good chance that the condensate pump has a problem and is full or the drain pan has excessive water in it to the point where it's getting ready to overflow.

If the air handler is in a place where water leaking could cause damage..... there is usually a means to shut down the A/C until the problem is resolved.

Old 07-15-15, 04:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No water in the pan. Hot in Texas!

Thanks for your response. I don't see any water in the pan...dry as a bone. I let it sit for a few hours and then turned it back on last night. The whole system worked for about 5 minutes then turned off and the thermostat is blank.... The breaker and main fuse outside are fine. Is there another fuse inside the outdoor unit? Bad Capacitor? It's hot in Texas! Thanks for any help!

Old 07-15-15, 04:52 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Does your thermostat require batteries? If so, try replacing them. If your thermostat doesn't require batteries, and you have a voltmeter, check for voltage at your thermostat. Check voltage between the R & C terminals on the thermostat. It should read ~24VAC. If it reads 0 or close to it, you may have a problem with the 24V transformer circuit.