A/C Fan or Condenser won't turn on

Old 07-19-15, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C Fan or Condenser won't turn on

A/C unit was running but then stopped working. I had replaced the capacitor a year prior and inspected the new one. No bulges or leakage was present.

Inspected the contactor and noticed it was original and was rusted over. The A/C Fan and Condenser would only engage when I depressed the contactor manually, but both would run at low rate. Ordered a new contactor and replaced, but the A/C Fan and Condenser still do not operate. The contactor does engage and there is a slight buzz sound. I replaced the capacitor just to see if that would work, but still no luck. I should point out that the furnace blower fan does engage.

I then replaced my thermostat since it was old and would not display well anymore. Installed, but still no luck. I retraced all my wiring and everything looks right.

Any help would be great.
(attached are my photos of the contactor; new and old)

thanks

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-15, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I would measure for 240 volts to the contactor for measure for 24 volts at the 2 wire nuts where the control wire enters the outdoor unit.

If you have 24 volts entering the condenser but not at the contactor it is probably a pressure switch since I do not see a time delay relay in your pics.

Old 07-19-15, 12:00 PM
I have to go pickup a new volt meter, as my neighbor borrowed but did not return. I will check for and reply. thanks

Old 07-19-15, 12:39 PM
Picked up a new breaker while I was at Ace. Test for 240 and I had no volts. Replaced breaker and it solved the issue. should have done this from the beginning.

Thanks for all your help