Another inop outside condensor unit thread.

Old 07-19-15, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another inop outside condensor unit thread.

Have an approximately 25 year old Amana model arcf48u01d that was blowing cold this morning. Fuses are good inside and out. I can hear a faint buzzing from inside the unit with the power on. Neither the fan or compressor work. Just noticed this tonight and too dark to check anything else. What should I check in the morning? I can check the pressures but since it was cold before, I doubt all the charge would have escaped so quick.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-15, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
The first thing to check is to see if the contactor is being pulled in and if it is.... is it burned ?

You can turn power off to the outside unit when checking the contactor as it gets its 24vac from inside.

Old 07-20-15, 05:59 AM
Well, after having everything off overnight I turned it on this morning and the compressor is working but the fan still doesn't.

Old 07-20-15, 06:18 AM
Checked the voltage of the 3 fan wires at the contactor and capacitor and they were all around 110V so I assume the fan is toast.

Old 07-20-15, 06:27 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
While it's certainly possible that the fan is bad, it's also possible that it's just a bad capacitor. Since the capacitor is far less expensive than the motor, I'd suggest that you try replacing the capacitor. Will the fan run if you give it a "push" (try turning the fan with a pencil or stick while power is on)? If so, that's a pretty good indication that the capacitor is bad.