adding duct to front of A/C

Old 07-20-15, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding duct to front of A/C

I've got the carpenter skills to mount an A/C through an outside wall. Separating that wall from the living room I want to cool is a closet that's about 3ft wide. A duct attached to the face of the A/C running across the closet and through a rectangle hole into the LR wall should do the trick but I'm concerned about moisture in the closet and any other unknowns you might point out. Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-15, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
Keep in mind that you will need two ducts. One for the cool air blowing out and another for the return air.

Yes, condensation could be a problem if the cold duct is not insulated well enough. You also want to make sure your ducts are large and straight and offer the minimum of air resistance. Window ACs are not designed to force air through ductwork like a central AC system. Any restriction in either duct will hurt the air flow and efficiency.

Old 07-20-15, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Of course! I was thinking I only needed the duct (which would be a straight 3ft) connected to the cold vents from the A/C. So the 2nd return duct would connect to the area below that, where the filter is? I think because of the size of the closet this MAY be a bad idea if two ducts have to run through a small closet which is used for storage. Too bad, I was hoping to make this installation so the A/C would run "silent" in the closet. Anything further? Again, thanks.