Trane furnace runs only on HEAT..

Old 07-25-15, 07:21 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane furnace runs only on HEAT..

I checked my thermostat wiring , replace the thermostat and checked inside the furnace and saw that fuse was blown. I replaced it and so the only thing that starts up is the Heat. I have a standard trane electric furnace. Please help..

Old 07-25-15, 09:20 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 48 Posts
You said that the fuse was blown. Did you find the reason why the fuse blew? Have you checked to see if the fuse blew again? Fuses don't normally blow for no reason, so you'll have to find why it blew in the first place. Usually, a short circuit is the cause of the fuse blowing.

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, with the voltmeter set to AC volts, check for voltage between the Y & C terminals and G & C terminals on the furnace control board (where the thermostat wires connect to the board). The board is usually in the blower compartment of the furnace. Note that there is usually an interlock switch that turns off power to the furnace when you remove the cover. You'll have to tape the switch "closed" (as if door was pressing against it).

Old 07-25-15, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,341 Upvotes on 3,000 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have a standard Trane electric furnace but you have some brand A/C too....... correct ?

Bob gave you some helpful advice. As a guess based on experience you may have a defective contactor in the outside unit.

Old 07-25-15, 10:35 AM
C
I was trying to connect a wifi thermostat. I ran a cable through the attic to make a "c" wire to the thermostat. I connected the "c" wire on a relay line and so believe that's what caused the fuse to blow. I put everything back and replaced the fuse the fuse doesn't blow anymore. We'll I turn it on and the COOL does not run only the HEAT runs. Also, I don't have thermostat terminals in the furnace the wires are connect to other wires.

Old 07-25-15, 11:07 AM
C
Yes the condenser and the furnace are both trane.

Old 07-25-15, 02:42 PM
Received 158 Upvotes on 144 Posts
What type of thermostat are you using?you may need to switch it to the cooling mode if it is not set for Auto Change Over
Geo

Old 07-26-15, 09:41 AM
Sounds like you are pretty nervous about this. Keep in mind that there can be a 5 min or more delay set into your system for cooling mode. Go turn it on and then go directly the the fridge and get a cold beer. Sit down relax and enjoy the brew then after about ten minutes if no cooling report back soldier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: