Condensate pipe keeps overflowing every 3 days

Old 08-03-15, 03:14 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condensate pipe keeps overflowing every 3 days

I have a 20 year old Heating and Air unit with the main unit installed in a closet in the basement. The condensate line connects to a 3 1/2" pipe that runs under the basement to the other side of the house. It's a distance of about 28 feet. Just recently (in the past month) the pipe is filling up. I have to empty it with a shop VAC (1.5 gallon unit) at least every three days to prevent the closet from flooding. I don't know if the pipe is opened on the other end and the water is just absorbed in the dirt (it is 6 feet under the ground), or if the pipe even has an opening on the other end. Since the pipe is much larger and longer than standard condensate lines, maybe when it was put in the installers just assumed it would evaporate before it ever became full.

Fortunately on the other side of the basement, they put in another 3 1/2" pipe that connects down to the condensate pipe. I can see the water from this location, which is now where I pump the water out since it is much easier to get to. This confirms that it is not stopped up for the first 28 feet.

I put a snake down this access pipe and tried to snake further to the right where the condensate pipe exits out under the side of the house, but unfortunately I keep hitting something at about 3 or 4 inches. I don't know if the pipe just ends there or my snake is just too weak to break through. I can't imagine a condensate pipe that is 3 " thick getting stopped up that bad, and at 28 feet from the main unit. I'm thinking the pipe just ends there and it is capped off. Unfortunately it is 6 feet under the ground and also under my deck, so I don't have any room to dig down to find out.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-03-15, 05:03 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
They sell condensate pumps (I have one for my high efficiency furnace & A/C). It's basically a small tank with a float and a pump. When the water level reaches a certain level, the float turns on the pump (120VAC), which pumps it out to a drain (mine goes into my washing machine drain), usually using flexible tubing. If you think you could pipe the condensate into one of these pumps, it might be a way to deal with the problem.

Old 08-03-15, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,641 Likes on 1,469 Posts
My guess is its plugged up with sludge. Try blowing the line out with a cork, tube, and compressed air nozzle and ur air compressor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: