ID part on furnace


Old 08-14-15, 11:04 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ID part on furnace

I have this cylinder part (pictured below) on my furnace that has 2 copper pipes running to it. It connects there then runs into furnace. Ive noticed a stain on the floor just below. Anyone know the part shown?

Name:  IMG_5097.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  31.7 KB

Last edited by Paul Nero; 08-14-15 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-15, 01:06 PM
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas, California
Posts: 1,463
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Expansion valve.. .
Old 08-14-15, 02:07 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,495
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
It is a thermal expansion valve, abbreviated TXV. Generally used for the cooling system or possible for a heat pump. Do you have a heat pump or a more conventional gas or oil furnace?

Any "staining" could be a result of condensed water or else a leak from the valve itself might leave an oily stain AND problems with the cooling (or heat pump) operation.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: