Air Conditioner Danger?

Old 08-14-15, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Air Conditioner Danger?

I have read stories and news where families died when they use the heater during the winter time, due to carbon monoxide or deadly gas leaking from the furnace.

With that being said, when using the AC and since it uses the blower fan from the furnace, is there a hidden danger, in terms of fumes, if the furnace unit hasn't been annually checked? I would say know since there are no burning gases.

And while we are on this topic, what causes carbon monoxide or deadly gas leaks into furnaces during winter usage?

Thanks

Update (Pretty good article) : http://www.nationalfurnace.com/advice.htm

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-15, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The A/C does not have any flames, why would you think that a danger?

No, refrigerant isn't good for you if it leaks out into the airflow, but it won't kill you unless you are in a very small space. Not like CO (carbon monoxide) which can build up over time as the furnace runs.

CO is always created from flames, be it a gas stove or a furnace. The problem is when the heat exchanger where the flames heat the flowing air cracks or fails. That allows combustion gases into the airflow in the house.

It's normally not a problem with a whole house furnace..though it can be. First signs are unusual drowsiness and headaches. The big problem is small propane heaters and such that have no source of fresh air for combustion.

Most cases I hear of are idiots that use a charcoal burner like a hibachi to try and warm the room. They close doors and windows and go to sleep forever.

Old 08-15-15, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. To reply to your first question, well, I was just making sure since lack of knowledge can sometime put one in danger.

Originally Posted by GunGuy45
Most cases I hear of are idiots that use a charcoal burner like a hibachi to try and warm the room. They close doors and windows and go to sleep forever.
There was a family (in New York) that died last year where they were running a gas generator inside the house since they did not have the money to pay for the electricity.

Old 08-15-15, 04:56 AM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
The generator would produce CO just like a car exhaust.
Geo

Old 08-15-15, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yeah, it was a bit late when I replied. The gennie in the garage is also a big killer. When we had an ice/snow storm back in VA about 10 yrs ago, some people lost power for almost a week. Mostly in older neighborhoods with overhead lines.

Lost a family of 4 using a hibachi in the living room and they had tacked up blankets over hallways to keep the heat in.

Lost 2 of another family because they put the gennie in the garage to prevent theft. The 2 in the bedroom near the garage perished.

No matter how many times the FD sends notices and all the public service announcements, people still do dumb things.

Old 08-15-15, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 127 Votes on 112 Posts
Anytime you burn something; Natural gas, Gasoline, Propane, Kerosine, Diesel fuel it produces carbon monoxide. Even when you burn wood or paper it will produce CO. Electric appliances do not burn anything so they do not produce CO.