finding an appropriate portable a/c

Old 10-14-16, 02:25 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
finding an appropriate portable a/c

I am having trouble locating an appropriate portable a/c unit.

I don't want a very large and heavy one, nor can my circuit support more than about 10 amps, so I think I would need 8000 BTU.

Also, I need a dual hose unit, as I am trying to seal off this room... I cannot have air drawn in, so a single-hose unit is not useful.

I want something with an "auto" mode for the fan (fan won't run if compressor is off)

Finally I need something that is available right now (in mid-October).

It is hard to browse the internet for this kind of thing, because often I cannot tell if the unit is dual-hose or has an auto-fan setting.

Mike

Old 10-14-16, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First off.... we don't know where you live so we can't recommend any appliance stores. If you're in a warm location.... there may be some left in stock. In colder areas... most of the stock is gone for the season.

I did a brief search and found only two smaller models that use dual hoses. One was 8K and was 9K. Both were no-name import units.

I may have seen one on the Sear's website. Your best bet is to call around to local appliance stores to see if any are available.

Old 10-14-16, 05:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm in the Los Angeles area.

Yes, it seems that smaller units with dual hoses are very rare.

To take a step back and explain my goal, I am trying to cool a room that does not have a window but instead has a sliding door out to a balcony. I figure that I can adapt the hose connection by making a wood piece that fits in the gap when the sliding door is open enough to permit the hose to run out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: