Blower Fan not working

Old 08-26-15, 02:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blower Fan not working

I have a blower that is no longer blowing air. I know its the fan because it was making noise when the heat/cool/off switch was off and the fan was switched to ON instead of AUTO. Can this be serviced by a user or no? I've been quoted $325 min for repair if tech comes to house. If it is user servicable, how do i go about fixing it?

Thanks in advance.
Daryl

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-15, 02:43 PM
Received 15 Votes on 10 Posts
The air handler (blower) motor can often be serviced by the homeowner, particularly if it's an older unit. Many of the blower motors use a capacitor that sometimes fails after a while. If you can see your blower assembly (motor and "squirrel cage"), look to see if you see a small metal can (often silver in color), usually round or oval shaped attached to the blower assembly and connected to the motor via wires. Capacitors are inexpensive and can be easily purchased and replaced, so that's usually the first thing to try.

While you have the blower assembly out or partially out, check to make sure that everything (motor & squirrel cage) rotate freely (power off of course). If they don't, then you need to find out what's wrong (squirrel cage rubbing on housing, bad bearings, bad motor bearings, etc.).

If you have a newer air handler that uses an ECM motor (usually direct drive, no drive belt), that's a different story. They don't use a capacitor, and are generally not user serviceable. Unfortunately, these motors are also quite expensive.

Old 08-26-15, 05:03 PM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
What kind of noise, bearings, loose squirrel cage?
Geo