ComEd A/C cycling switch question

Old 09-03-15, 10:07 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post ComEd A/C cycling switch question

ComEd recently installed smart meters in my condo building, and ever since I've had issues with the rooftop a/c unit tripping the circuit breaker about once per week. I went to the roof and noticed a beige box with a ComEd logo wired to the compressor panel on the a/c unit. After doing some research, I'm pretty sure it's one of ComEd's cycling switches that enables them to send a signal to turn off my compressor.

I did not sign up for their a/c cycling program so it's clearly a mistake. However, ComEd has not been cooperative (no surprise) with either removing the switch or identifying the mistake. The switches aren't supposed to cause any damage but it's too big of a coincidence for me to believe that the a/c unit started tripping the breaker for the first time in 4 years the same day ComEd was here messing around.

My question: Hypothetically, could I disable or disconnect the ComEd cycling switch myself without damaging my compressor? If so, how should it be done?
Thanks!

Old 09-03-15, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The energy conservation control on the condensor could certainly cause problems if it interrupted the control signal to the compressor. That control is installed so that the power company can cut power to your A/C compressor.

#1 - The power company installs that control and gives you a special rate on your electric for the ability to shut your condensor down in extremely high demand conditions.

#2 - As far as I know.... you establish this service with the power company and then they come install the equipment. In your case it appears they may have put the cart before the horse.

I don't see what gives them the authority to install the equipment on non company owned equipment without the owners permission. That you will need to look in to with the power company or even check with the Public Utilities Commission.

Could you bypass it or disconnect it..... maybe. It may be sealed shut. We'd need a picture of it and its wiring in order to offer any help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc/534445-how-insert-pictures.html

On edit:
On further checking I found this information listed in the Chicago Metropolitan Area Critical Infrastructure Protection Program.

Name:  demand 1.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  21.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-03-15 at 10:56 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: