New A/C wiring and operation

Old 09-05-15, 10:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New A/C wiring and operation

Hi,

New to the forum. After years of not having A/C in my house ( I previously had a swamp cooler) I finally got one installed. I'm pretty happy with it for the most part, but not sure it is running has properly. My A/C is a 16 seer two stage American Standard. It is a natural gas split system. The condenser unit is model number 4A7A4060L1000A, Furnace is AUD1C100A9601A and thermostat is ACOT802 series. I don't have the dehumidifier option. My questions are as follows:

1) I was verifying if the system is wired correctly per the instructions and I noticed that the jumper going from R to O on furnace terminal block wasn't installed. What is the jumper for? Is it needed? I went ahead and installed it.

2) How can I tell if the first stage and 2nd stage is working? When I do the test (test 1) via the t-state, the system sounds the same when I set it at either first stage or second stage. I also should point out that I have the blower speed set up to max 450CFM.

My impression of the system was that on first stage the air flow coming out of the vents would be a low speed and when the system kicks in to the second stage the air coming out of the vents would be higher. Is the reason I can't tell the difference is because I have the blower speed set up to the max CFM? I also was under the impression that the system would stay on low stage for a long period of time, but in my case it seems like the system will run for 10 mins, shut off for 5 mins and then start again.

Would appreciate it if someone can answer my questions and help me out.

FYI: I live in Tucson.

Thanks Mike M

Old 09-05-15, 10:42 PM
M
I forgot to mention that the CHP on my T-stat is set at 6 (what the contractor recommended) and maybe that is why the system is going on and off so often. My house is 2000 sq ft, slump block design and poorly insulated. Is there a better CHP I should set it at?

Thanks Mike M.

Old 09-06-15, 04:47 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
If this system was installed by a contractor,maybe you should go over the system operation with them and address your concerns with them,I don't believe you should have connected the jumper between R&O I think that is for a Heat pump function.
Geo

Old 09-06-15, 09:12 AM
S
If you are really only blowing 450 cfm then your A coil would have ice on it, as would the copper lines.

Old 09-06-15, 05:13 PM
M
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have been clearer on the 450cfm is per ton. Also, according to my condenser wiring diagram and T-stat diagram the R and O should have a jumper. This could be true for a heat pump as well, don't know. What is the R and O? I have gone over some questions with my contractor, but was just looking for a second opinion is all. Thanks

Mike M

Old 09-07-15, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
It is tough to find American Standard manuals. Do you have the manual number for the furnace?

Old 09-07-15, 06:08 PM
M
Hi Houston,

I have the installer's guide for variable speed 2 stage upflow/horizontal and downflow/horizontal, gas fired furnaces. It lists a whole bunch of furnace models that the guide is used for. I looked at the furnace is it is a AUD2C100B9V5VBB which is closed to what's listed on my guide. My furnace P/N has an extra "B" at the end.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Mike M

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: