Condensate Line blocked - Baffled

Old 09-06-15, 04:54 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condensate Line blocked - Baffled

Folks,
Two A/c units with condensate lines coming together for one common attic drain. One unit fine. The other unit, condensate line blocked. I've had the wet/dry vac on it and pulled the water out of the line. Dumped about a quart of water down the 'bleach / inspection' pipe and all seemed ok but after about 1 minute, the line backed up. I daren't push anything into the pipe in case I push the blockage into the common pipe and then both a/c units will back up. Poured a quart down the working a/c units bleach port and it swallowed that no problem. What gives? The failing unit is about 6 years old. Could there be something going on inside the unit that could cause this, it's very odd. Nothing has changed in the piping run, cannot find any wet spots in the pipe run before it joins the working pipe and then a common pipe drops down out of the attic. Air lock somehow?

Thoughts / help much appreciated.

Old 09-06-15, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
Usually.... the clog is where the drain pipe connects to the unit.

Old 09-06-15, 06:14 PM
I
aaah! interesting stuff. Because the unit is also seeping water out of the unit body and dripping into the overflow pan underneath the unit. The unit is only 5 years old and the overflow pan has always been bone dry until about 3 hrs. ago. What are the typical causes of an internal blockage? If I can get the condensate pipe out, what should I be looking for? If I can get the pipe out of the side of the unit, I guess I could put the wet n dry vac on the aperture.
Thanks for the post, much appreciated. The other unit is definitely fine, it has no back up at all.

Old 09-06-15, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
The drain is usually just 3/4" PVC pipe. Easy to cut and reconnect. There should be a threaded PVC fitting into the drain pan.

Old 09-06-15, 07:55 PM
I
OK thanks. I'll pull the top off tomorrow before calling the ac guy. It may be something I can fix myself. The water seepage from the unit onto the emergency back up pan might be due to a partial blockage in the drain line.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Old 09-06-15, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
If there is water coming out of the second (slightly higher) fitting then the inside pan is full.

You can post a picture of the drain line and connection if you need assistance in disconnecting and reconnecting the line. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-08-15, 08:35 AM
I
Thanks. I pulled the evaporator coil cover and it looks clean to me. I did go over the fins with the wet/dry brush attachment. So no further water clogs so far. However…and this may have been the cause of the excess water in the first place…..she will not drop room temp below 80. When I first discovered the problem it was stuck trying to get the room cool. Compressor will run constantly but it cannot get below 80. I stuck an oven instant read thermometer under evaporator cover and am getting 62 F inside the evaporator. I checked to make sure I haven’t disturbed anything. A/C man coming this afternoon, I’ve shut unit down in case I burn up the compressor.

Thanks

Old 09-08-15, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Don't forget... there are two sides to the coil. The air goes in one side and out the other side. The fins on the exhaust or outgoing side of the coil are usually clean.... it's the fins on the "air in" side you need to check.

Inside the evaporator sounds plenty cold enough but it would appear the air isn't being circulated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: