Which wall to install an a/c unit through?

Old 09-19-15, 01:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which wall to install an a/c unit through?

After reading for about the last 3 months on the different types of a/c to retrofit a house with, I have decided on a wall mounted a/c.
I want to eliminate a window a/c unit and put in a wall mounted a/c
in an odd shaped, upstairs living room. It is the larger room in the drawing. It is approx. a 3,458cu ft room. I plan to use a 14,000 or 15,000 btu unit. The two rooms to the left are bedrooms with window a/c units. The other room is a bathroom with no a/c.
I currently have a window unit in the living room window but want to eliminate it.
I have narrowed it to two locations that I would like to install.
I have placed a box fan on a stepladder to see if there was any real difference as to where the air flow originates from and while there is some difference, my preference is where the #1 is. Second preference is where the #2 is.
There are other factors: location #2 would be directly above a tv. Location #1 is directly above a stairwell. North, South etc are marked at the corners of the drawing (which is not to scale)
I really need an opinion from someone who knows more about this, before I start cutting holes into walls.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56329[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-15, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,420 Upvotes on 3,066 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It would be ideal to install the A/C on the coolest wall of the house...... the side where the afternoon sun doesn't hit. That is not always possible though.

Other than that..... either location would be ok with location 1 having the slight advantage.

Old 09-19-15, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the expertise and quick response. Unfortunately wall where #1 is gets the afternoon sun, no trees. Was not sure if the off-set from the bathroom would cause any concern, so thanks again.

Old 09-21-15, 02:38 AM
W
Are you talking about a through the wall unit like those used in motels ? Or a ductless mini split ?

Mini splits are very quiet , making it easier to hear your TV .

God bless
Wyr

Old 09-21-15, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I would definitely look into a mini split over a wall unit. You can get heating and cooling without the fuss of having a gaping hole in your wall. I would choose "2" although the north side is always best for just A/C. The offset of the bathroom will cause a road block and freeze your butt off on the toilet, so to speak. The minisplit uses the least invasion of wall space and provides great heat/cooling.

Old 09-21-15, 02:51 PM
Yes, I was talking about like the motel type. I decided on the through wall for several reasons. It is a bigger hole, but with the mini split I would have to build a base and support for the outside unit which would be mounted on a vertical wall (my house is a barn style with the sides shingled). Then the cost comparison is quite a bit different. I was almost sold on the mini split, but, in the end, the only thing the mini split had going for it is it is quiet. If I put the through the wall unit in location #1, it will be approx. 18' behind me and will not be noticed. As for the cool breezes in the bathroom, not a problem, it is a completely enclosed room. The through the wall a/c will be in sort of an alcove created by the bathroom. That alcove is 10' x 10'.

Old 09-22-15, 02:41 AM
W
The MS would be both quieter AND most likely , more energy efficient .

They cost 2 - 3 times as much as window shakers . Do not know how they compare to through the wall window units ?

The through the wall unit will require more carpentry skills to cut , reinforce and trim the wall opening .

Would have to see a pic of the spot , for a clear understanding of what would be involved in mounting the MS outside unit .

You also need some HVAC skills & tooling , when connecting the MS line set to the inside & outside unit . Pressure testing , purging , vacuuming the system down .

God bless
Wyr

Attached Images    
Old 09-22-15, 01:16 PM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]56477[/ATTACH] #1 location is just to the right of the chimney (looking at the photo) which is almost in the center of the photo. MS is def nice but I can get a through the wall with sleeve for a little over $600. If it ever needs servicing or replacing, just snatch it out instead of calling for professional help. Anything is going to stick out but, I thought the backside of a wall unit would look as well or maybe better than a condenser/coil sitting on a platform (for my particular situation). If it could be located on the ground that might be different but I plan to build a carport there (one of these days!)

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-15, 02:45 AM
W
Using brackets , the MS condenser can be mounted on the exterior wall .

But , if you have already purchased a MS , it is a moot point .

As far as cost , I have bought & installed 2 MS's , both 12,000 BTU heat & cool . DIY , each ended up costing me a little less than $ 1,000 . After it was all said & done .

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: