Blower but no compressor

Old 09-25-15, 05:15 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blower but no compressor

Just had my central a/c serviced about 2 months ago. They replaced the capacitor and recharged the refrigerant. I turned on the A/C yesterday and it appeared to be working fine then I noticed the house was really warm and when I checked the vents it was blowing room temperature air so I turned it off. A couple hours later I turned it back and I hear and feel that the blowers are turning on but it doesn't sound like the compressor is coming on. The unit is about 5 years old Are these symptoms indicative on a specific problem?

Old 09-25-15, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If the condensor fan is running then you have a compressor issue. It could be shutting down on thermal overload.

That could be caused by a defective capacitor or a condensor fan that is shutting down or is not running fast enough.

You will have to shut the unit off for several hours. Restart it while standing next to it and see if the compressor starts and how long does it run.

Old 09-25-15, 05:55 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I actually last tried turning it on last night and when the problem persisted I left it off for about 12 hours today and tired again with same results. My issue is that I live in a townhouse so my unit is on my roof with really limited access to get to it which is why I haven't checked on the unit itself. I was hoping it may be a wiring or thermostat issue due to the extreme heat... wishful thinking!

Old 09-25-15, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Oh... ok. So you haven't actually checked the A/C condensor. Really no way to guess as to the problem without seeing what's happening up there first.

If you just had it serviced..... get them back again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: