Testing new System that was installed by a "Pro"

Old 10-02-15, 01:06 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Testing new System that was installed by a "Pro"

I just had a whole new system installed.

Bryant 189BNV024-A
Bryant 60,000 BTU FHA
Bryant MyEvolution Wifi Thermostat
Bryant Multizone Controller.

House is 1200 Sq Ft and well insulated, new Anderson double glass windows etc.

I'm not used to having Central AC and it just turned cold out so it's hard to really test it. But it seems weak on cooling.

The system dynamically adjusts many things Compressor Speed, Compressor Fan and Blower Speed.

But I set the thermostat to Max Fan and set it on 50F while it was 70 outside and 70 inside.

So I have a whole house energy monitor. According to it (which has been very accurate on both 120V and 220v appliances.

The AC is only pulling 800 watts once it's cruising.
But it's not hot outside and therefore should be doing less work, especially with a system that dynamically adjust to the load.

Tag says 17.7 AMPS RLA which comes close to 4000 watts.

I'm concerned it might not be charged properly.

The guy that installed it, was not the best, despite finding someone with good reviews, multiple bids. It was a fiasco getting it installed.

So could this be normal?
Is there a way to force it, to full load in any weather condition to test it?
I don't want to wait until next summer to find out. After I paid him.

Thanks

Old 10-02-15, 03:17 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's hard to tell if it's working right or not. It's a variable speed system so amperage will vary. It also depends on how the thermostat was set up as well.

But generally speaking, on a 70 degree day if you set ALL zones (not just one) 10 or so or more degrees below present house temp then the system should kick into high gear after about 5... maybe even 10 minutes and you should start to see your energy monitor reading a much higher value. If it's not doing that then I would call your guy back and go over it again.

Old 10-02-15, 11:28 PM
M
I did set all zones. I only have 2. Blower seemed to be going full speed.

But I don't know what compressor is doing.
Compressor Fan was moving along, but I don't know what full speed is.

Old 10-03-15, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
There is a away to do a very rough test of a/c performance in cold weather.

You can set the system mode to heat and warm up the house to about 26 degC ( 80 degF) then switch it to cooling mode.
Go outside and partially block the condensing unit coils with something like a plastic garbage bag....(2/3 or so blocked depending on the weather).
While the system runs you can monitor the liquid line temperature to make sure you do not block too much air.
The liquid line should be about 100 deg F which is barely luke-warm to the touch.

I use this method to pre-service a/c in our local climate.
I get many calls to service systems before the heat wave hits but the problem is our weather goes from below freezing to needing air conditioning in the span of a couple of days.
This type of test is not as good as checking while the system is under full load but it gives you a good idea of what to expect when the heat hits or if any repairs are needed.

Old 10-03-15, 09:40 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
But I don't know what compressor is doing.
Compressor Fan was moving along, but I don't know what full speed is.
800 watts is not much (if your monitor is correct). At 220volts that's only about 3.5 amps. I doubt the compressor was even on.
3.5 amps would cover the inside blower and the condenser fan. My (2 stage) heat pump draws about 7amps (1500 watts) in 1st stage mode.

Old 10-03-15, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
That variable speed 2 ton unit will not pull run load amps on the highest speed on a hot day. I would expect around 70 percent of RLA on a hot day.

I don't sell many green speed units since the 480 volts DC at the compressor is said to be able to instantly stop the heart of the serviceman working on it if he isn't careful of where he puts his hands. 3.5 amps sounds possible on a mild day on the lowest speed to me.

I still sell the 21SEER 2 speed over that model if I can.

Old 10-08-15, 07:36 PM
M
Thanks for the warning on the 480V. Eek.

The 70 percent RLA makes sense too because the RLA was lower on the single speed 2.5 Ton unit.

So it sounds like it could be running normal and just more difficult to test in cool weather.

I'm not sure I'm that eager to put the garbage bag on it to load it up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: