Attic installed Goodman GMS80703ANCC problems (system 3 yrs old)

Old 11-13-15, 04:49 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic installed Goodman GMS80703ANCC problems (system 3 yrs old)

Our house has the Goodman GMS80703ANCC system installed in the attic of our one story house
One night, before going to bed, I thought I kept hearing a helicopter noise outside and when going to bed I noticed it was coming from the area of the attic unit.
The next morning the AC did not come on. There was a low buzzing coming from the attic unit area.
I checked inside and outside CBs and found the outside 30 A CB popped.
I reset breaker and tried to see if at least the heater would blow air…it did not.
Would the possible locking up of the blower motor cause the external 30 A CB to pop?
Would the possible locking up of the blower motor cause exterior HE to stop?
Can I change this blower motor easily?
Is this system a true HE with furnace OR AC with furnace?
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-15, 09:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,020 Votes on 946 Posts
With loss of the furnace blower the compressors high pressure rises and can cause the breaker for the condensor to trip.

HE ?????

You have a Goodman 80% gas furnace with A/C coil added.

Can I change this blower motor easily?
That depends on the installation of the furnace.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On a three year old system you may have a warranty claim....GMS8 Warranty

To benefit from the Goodman warranty, customers will need to register the unit within 60 days of installation at the original owner’s home. Once this is completed, the following warranty applies:

The heat exchanger is covered for the life of the original home owner
All other functional parts will carry a 10 year limited warranty

If the above warranty does not apply then the product is covered as follows:

All other functional parts will carry a 10 year limited warranty
The heat exchanger will carry a 10 year limited warranty
The remaining functional parts carry a 5 year warranty

Old 11-14-15, 06:40 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman GMS80703ANCC Blower Motor problems

Thanks for the reply!
MY DIY experience with total of 2 houses over the years has been everything else in and around the house except HVAC DIY. Heat exchanger versus A/C knowledge is lacking and I need to change that.Name:  20151113_180657.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  36.0 KBName:  20151113_180849.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  33.2 KBName:  20151114_081657.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  26.5 KBName:  20151114_081722.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  25.8 KB

I kind of figured that the blower motor problem might have caused a cascade of problems.
Its it possible that if I replace the blower motor the AC will reboot and work as before?
We had the original installers (builders chose them) come out to tell us what might be the fix. They said the blower motor, compressor and capacitor needs replacement (but then when they originally installed the system they left the freon service cap off??).
Not sure if I believe all that needs changed.

Any advice?

Paul

Old 11-14-15, 08:28 AM
Received 26 Votes on 21 Posts
Paul, it's unlikely that the compressor needs to be replaced. Depending upon what type of blower motor you have (PSC or ECM), you may have a bad capacitor for your blower motor. For now, I would concentrate on getting the blower running. Once the blower is running again, then you can see whether you have problems with the outside unit (condenser & compressor).

Old 11-14-15, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,020 Votes on 946 Posts
In the first picture.... that is the draft inducer motor. They are easy to change.
You need to locate the main blower which is in the opposite end of the furnace (to the left)

Old 12-03-15, 07:23 PM
A
Received 39 Votes on 35 Posts
First question - If you turn just the fan on at the thermostat do you get air blowing out of the registers/does the furnace blower motor start? This could just be a bad thermostat or disconnected wire. There is a diagnostic LED on the furnace controller board that blinks error codes but it is mainly for gas issues. (buzzing noise probably means motor issue but like to cover all bases)

fyi - Service manual - http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...3%204.2013.pdf with troubleshooting starting on page 113

And picture of blower compartment. http://www.alpinehomeair.com/partner...er_640_692.jpg Once you get the wires out of the way there are two screws at the top to remove and the whole thing slides forward and out.