Condenser fan start-up is intermittent

Old 11-14-15, 09:33 AM
Condenser fan start-up is intermittent

Hi I've got a Goodman split unit (CKL62) and have noticed that the fan is not always starting up when the compressor does. Obviously this is a bad thing and i'd like to remedy it.

Please check my analysis as i've rudimentary understanding of these systems.

1) There's a shared run capacitor AFAIK, so if the compressor starts and the fan doesn't, the capacitor is probably OK. (yes?)

2) When the fan does run it seems a bit unbalanced or rough, but when it does start with the compressor it runs until the compressor shuts off again. I'm guessing this means the fan motor bearings are going bad and it (the motor) needs to be replaced.

Is there anything else it could be? I don't want to buy and replace the fan motor only to discover it wasn't the problem!

Also, is the motor typically something that can be replaced with ordinary tools and expertise?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-15, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 211
Welcome to the forums.

1) There's a shared run capacitor AFAIK, so if the compressor starts and the fan doesn't, the capacitor is probably OK. (yes?)
A shared cap is two caps in one. It is very possible to have just one side go bad.

Bad bearings usually result in noise... not an imbalanced appearing fan.
Possibly the fan blades are bent ?

A good course of action would to be just replace the cap right now as that is the least costliest thing to try and is the most likeliest problem.

Old 11-14-15, 05:24 PM
Thanks PJmax. It went from intermittent to nonfunctional since yesterday so i seems a lot more likely now that it's the cap. Also, i did not realize that those combined caps were two caps in one. Seems like an inefficient design.

The rotors look okay but there's something definitely not smooth and normal about that fan, even going back several months.

I'll report back after replacing the cap (Monday). It's apparently impossible to buy one of those on Sunday in major metropolitan areas. People are screaming bloody murder.

Yeah, i could call a 24-7 technician, i know.

Old 11-14-15, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 211
I have never been a fan of dual caps and whenever possible install two singles instead of a dual.

Old 11-19-15, 10:48 AM
Hi I want to follow up because i hate when i find these threads in a search and there's no resolution.

It was the fan motor. I replaced the cap and it made an effort but just couldn't get going. A replacement fan motor and it's spinning both effortlessly and smoothly.

Now i know.

PS Next time there's a bad cap i'll just replace the one that needs replacing. Seems more efficient for sure.