UV lamps


  #1  
Old 11-22-15, 06:32 AM
Geochurchi's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,086
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
UV lamps

Hi All , has anyone had experience with these UV lamps?where are they mounted and do they work?
Geo
 
  #2  
Old 11-22-15, 10:36 AM
Houston204's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,525
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
UV lamps work great for preventing the growth of mold in the supply air plenum after the cooling coil. This is the location that this growth starts.

The picture on the left and the picture on the right are the same unit. No cleaning was done.
The right picture was about a year after installing the lamp.


 
  #3  
Old 11-22-15, 02:01 PM
Geochurchi's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,086
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I have been reading good and bad things,some say they deteriorate the drain pans and other plastic stuff also flex duct,another said they produce an Ozone smell.
Is it best power than 24/7 or only when the fan is energized?
Geo
 
  #4  
Old 11-22-15, 04:43 PM
Houston204's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,525
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Be sure to keep the insulation at least 1 inch away from the light.
If your plenum is very nasty it will probably smell for a while.

An Ozone smell is still better than mold to me, so I have one on my house.

It is not recommended to cycle the light several times an hour.
Wire it continuously hot.

Honeywell had a model that would cycle the light 2 hours on then 2 hours off.
Honeywell also has the best prices for replacement bulbs.

My company sells Carrier UV lamps. The replacement bulb comes with a new ballast.
 
  #5  
Old 11-22-15, 05:10 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,393
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
I can't see how UV lamps cause ozone. Possibly you're thinking about an electronic air cleaner ?
Those produce ozone.
 
  #6  
Old 11-23-15, 05:10 AM
Geochurchi's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,086
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi PJ, it wasn't an air cleaner but it had to do with the wave length of the light, I'll see if I can find the article.
 
  #7  
Old 11-24-15, 11:32 AM
airman.1994's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,491
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ozone is a pollutant and should be avoided, especially inside of an HVAC system. If you have mold you will want to get it cleaned up as dead mold is an allergen. UV will not kill any mold in the air stream so don't fall for that sales pitch. The UV will kill mold, viruses etc that land with in 14 inches are so of the light. anything much over that and it will be useless.
 
  #8  
Old 11-25-15, 10:10 AM
Houston204's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,525
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
If you decide to get a UV lamp researching the cost of replacement bulbs would be a good idea.

Organic growth starts in the supply air plenum in most cases. It is not unusual to see duct board trunklines bright yellow inside but the plenum much worse.

I think most homes would benefit from UV lamps.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: