HVAC motor question

Old 12-08-15, 08:47 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HVAC motor question

Recently the HVAC is broken at my rental apartment. I hired an HVAC contractor to fix the problem, but he cannot find the replacement motor due to the age of the system. He then suggest to replace the whole AC system (inside and out) which will cost $5800. This option is way too costly for my budget so I am looking for other solution. Here are my questions:
  1. I know it is not needed to be the exact motor, but what spec I need to know if the new motor is compatible (amp, HP, voltage, etc.)? I did some search but the opinion seems divided.
  2. If I cannot find the part, do I have other option than replacing the whole unit?
  3. If everything failed and I have to go with the nuclear option, does the price quote make sense (San Diego, CA area)? If anyone can give me a referral will be a big help.

I am totally new to this stuff please help. Thanks.

Name:  HVAC motor.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  24.5 KB

Old 12-09-15, 04:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
The frame is very important but I don't see FR on your motor nomenclature.

So what are we looking at? A blower motor for and air handler or something else? The make and model might bring up a replacement.

Old 12-09-15, 06:20 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Most real HVAC technicians have an assortment of universal replacement motors on the truck. A lot of them aren't even authorized to give a quote for a system replacement. Also - did they check the capacitor?

There are lots of fake HVAC techs out there who are just salesmen wearing a uniform.

Call other company. One that isn't on TV or otherwise spending big bucks on advertising.

Old 12-09-15, 08:19 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Check this one out. (as mentioned, did you check the capacitor first ?)
Carrier Condenser Electric Motor 1/6 HP 1500 RPM 208-230V AO Smith # OCA1014

Old 12-09-15, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
I was looking up the GE model number last night and I got a direct hit to a dual shaft motor. I have a feeling that motor is for a blower in a PTAC unit.

Old 12-09-15, 10:50 AM
P
Thanks everyone. The contractor just send me this picture, I will try to get the motor from him so I can find out the exact type (dual vs single shaft).

The contractor replaced the capacitor last time, but the motor just failed again, so I guess this motor is up for replacement.

I see clocert suggested a generic motor (link). Everything looks the same except it is .9 amp (old one is 1.1 amp). Does it matter for the amp?

Once I get the part, I will post more pictures.

Old 12-09-15, 11:03 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
The small difference in amperage shouldn't be a problem. The important parameters are: voltage, HP, speed, rotation (often you can reverse the motor direction through the wiring), and mounting (frame type). I suspect that the AO Smith motor might be slightly more efficient, hence the lower current draw for the same HP.

Old 12-09-15, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Ok... so not a dual shaft motor. That motor looks like a good replacement. Just check further into its mounting..... in case you need a base plate.

Old 12-09-15, 10:55 PM
P
Thanks everyone, that's a relief. I will confirm once I get the part back, It will take 2-3 days.

Old 12-10-15, 09:40 AM
F
Smile

Pipboy2006, can you take a better picture of where this motor mounts also include a overall view of the motor? It's hard to tell the mounting for your motor with the picture provided. This motor may use a resilient cradle for its mounting and if that's case, the OCA1014 will not work for a few reasons.

First, the original motor is an open type to help with cooling because there is no direct air flow going over the motor (Judging from the picture). The OCA1014 is a TEAO ( Total Enclosed Air Over) type motor and it requires a direct air flow source to help with cooling.

Second, It looks like this motor mounts directly to the housing via the motor thru-bolts. (Based on the picture provided) The OCA1014 does not have the extended motor thru-bolts needed for this application. You might be able to flip the thru-bolts that come with OCA1014, but it's difficult to tell from the picture provided. If the motor is in a resilient cradle, the OCA1014 lacks the endbell rings and mounts required to mount to your existing cradle.

Lastly, this is the most important difference, the OCA1014 is CWLE (Clock-wise Lead End) rotation which is CCWSE (Counter-Clockwise Shaft End). Based on the nameplate provided rotation, your orginal motor is CWSE (Clock-Wise Shaft End).

Here's a few things you'll need to select a replacement:

1) Take a better picture of where the motor mounts. This will help clear up how this specific motor mounts into your assembly.

2) Provide the unit's (not the motor's) complete model and serial number. I should be able to verify the specifications for your unit from this information.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you might have!

-Franklin

Old 12-11-15, 09:45 AM
P
Yes I am going to get better picture once I get the part.

Old 12-17-15, 09:39 PM
P
Sorry for the delay folks, I finally got the part back (the AC guy was not responsive at all!!!!). Here are the pics and I will try my best to summarize the motor spec as much as I can, please correct me if I am wrong.

Double Shaft motor
1/6 HP
208-230V
1500 RPM
1.1 Amp
1 Phase (Is this also mean single speed?)
Motor Diameter 4-3/4 inch
Shaft Diameter 1/2 inch
Shaft Length 7 inch
Mounting distance 5 inch
Mounting type (I don't know)
Rotation (Not sure if that matters, I think just the direction of the current)

I am not sure which info is important that has to match for the new motor. Please help, thanks.

Picture is uploaded to photobucket, you can open the photo URL to see the full size image.

Old 12-19-15, 08:54 PM
P
Bump. Does anyone see a motor compatible with this one?

Old 12-20-15, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without the FR ( frame) size it would be tough to order a part online.

I would take that motor to Johnstone supply and have them match it for you.

Do you have the frame size listed on the blower housing nomenclature?

Old 12-20-15, 05:24 PM
P
Thanks Houston204, I don't know where to look for the frame size, but here is the label on the blower housing. I can give it a try on Johnstone too, not sure if the contractor had try that place yet.

Old 12-24-15, 08:12 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Most of the motors have standard (4 bolts) mounting frame. If you are not sure, go to any AC shop, they will help you out.

Old 12-24-15, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is a cradle mounted dual shaft motor. I would have it matched at a parts house. Johnstone or Grainger would be the places that I would use but the are wholesale suppliers.

The unit nomenclature has a motor number but I didn't get any hits with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: