Dog chewed compressor wiring


  #1  
Old 12-17-15, 09:55 AM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Dog chewed compressor wiring

I need help fixing some wire damage my dog cause on the compressor outside. he tore the black wire (that has a white green and red wire inside) from the compressor to the furnace and I have no clue how to connect everything back up. the compressor is a bryant 127ana048-a.
 
  #2  
Old 12-18-15, 01:04 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,495
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Start by turning the power off to the condensor. (compressor)
Remove the wiring access cover that is near where the AC power connects. There should be some type of grommet where the brown control wire is supposed to pass thru.

You'll probably see two smaller wires in there with or without wirenuts. The condensor only needs two wires but a three wire cable was installed. That means you'll need to locate the control board on the air handler or furnace. You should see your three wire connected to the control board.

One wire will be on Y and the other on C. The third wire should be wrapped around the jacket or just hanging out. The two colors there..... on Y and C.... are the colors you will use outside.

If this doesn't make sense..... remove the wiring cover at the compressor, shoot a picture and post it here. Do the same thing for the control board inside.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html
 
  #3  
Old 12-19-15, 08:39 AM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply!!! I am trying to resolve this ASAP bc of winter!! anyways, I looked at the wiring in the furnace and the three cables are hooked up. (white to y1, green to Com 24v and blue to y/y2)
 
  #4  
Old 12-19-15, 08:45 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,495
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
OK. Now you'll need to open the access cover on the outside unit and connect those three wires to the connections in there.

Two Y wires signifies two stage cooling.
 
  #5  
Old 12-19-15, 08:55 AM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
awesome, I made all the connection as per the schematic outside. but the unit won't start and I see the error code 24 (check for short circuit in secondary voltage (24vac)wiring) when I press the bypass botton on the furnace.
 
  #6  
Old 12-19-15, 08:58 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 29,711
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Look for more damage to the cable. Check the control voltage fuse at the air handler.
 
  #7  
Old 12-19-15, 09:07 AM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cable doesn't seem to be the issue outside, and I am not sure how to know if the fuse is damaged. it's the 3 amp fuse?
 
  #8  
Old 12-19-15, 09:14 AM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok, it is burnt... could this have happened when the dog pulled the wire? I will go get a new fuse now, but I'm afraid it will just burn as well
 
  #9  
Old 12-19-15, 09:47 AM
Bob14525's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,644
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
When the dog chewed the wire, it likely shorted the 24VAC control wire with the return (ground), causing the fuse to blow. Assuming that the wiring is properly connected and the splices insulated, the fuse shouldn't blow again.
 
  #10  
Old 12-19-15, 12:50 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,495
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
ok, it is burnt... could this have happened when the dog pulled the wire?
Yes..... IF the A/C was running or IF the wires were shorted and then the A/C was turned on.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: