Help with re-purposing a Kelvinator AC (1.5KWh R-34

Old 01-08-16, 01:45 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with re-purposing a Kelvinator AC (1.5KWh R-34

heyo, my first post here

We are getting our AC replaced in a while and I was wanting to salvage the compressor and expansion valve to make a smaller, portable and maybe even more energy efficient AC. But I have a few questions:
1. Can someone give me some advice on 240v wiring? I know how to solder, check the common ect. But would like some help on wiring 2 fans and the compressor to a switch

2. Does it have to use the same radiator for dissipating heat? I was thinking of salvaging a car radiator and using that with either a radiator fan or a plain 240v fan behind it. Also, would that apply for the cold radiator too? I think its about 1.2KWh using R34 refrigerant.

3. I'm not that familiar with AC, but is it like DC so if you switch the wiring around it will go in reverse?

When I get back from holidays I'll post the model and wiring diagram info because I can't remember the model type.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers,
hman out

Old 01-08-16, 10:08 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
My opinion is that your wasting your time,I really doubt you can use a car radiator,AC will not reverse direction by reversing wires,someone could get hurt with this project.

Old 01-08-16, 01:19 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I've done a bit more research and I've thought of these 2 options
1. Ditch the old AC and get a 12V compressor and expansion valve and use that instead
2. Keep the outside unit intact and just use a different evaporator

Cheers,
hman out

Old 01-09-16, 01:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
12v compressors are extremely rare to come by. They require a lot of amperage so they are not as popular as an engine driven compressor.

It's extremely difficult to "custom build" an A/C. There are too many design parameters to consider. You couldn't make one more energy efficient than you could buy one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: