Carrier X13 Blower Motor Issues

Old 01-27-16, 07:26 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier X13 Blower Motor Issues

Good Morning,

The wife had the A/C off all day yesterday, she then turned it on in the evening and it still seemed hot. I checked the thermostat and it was 75 in the house and we had it set to 73. I figured it was a clogged drain, but when I got to the air handler I could hear the bottom half of the unit running but not the top portion (blower motor), the bottom half was ice cold. Shut everything off and called the A/C guy today.

The first thing he did was tell me to set the thermostat to fan on, and the blower motor started working again, after several shut downs and running the heat and air ( did try running the heat before he came this morning still didn't work) it ran fine.

He said it was probably a bad "spot" in the motor that when it stops there it won't turn on again, basically it's going bad, but could still run for a while. Now he is quoting me about $1300 for a new motor, is there any way to fix this? I can solder and am pretty good with low voltage, or just buy a used fan?

Thanks!
Ryan

Old 01-27-16, 09:38 AM
S
That price seems way out of line. Did he test the motor or is he just guessing?

Old 01-27-16, 04:43 PM
R
Seemed like he was just assuming that is what was wrong. Motor is still working this evening. They called back with an official estimate of $381... I asked what it was for and they just simply said to fix it, I asked if that included the motor and they said yes. Going to request an actual quote.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 01-27-16, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,047 Upvotes on 3,631 Posts
Those motors are three phase and don't get bad spots. They have a fatal flaw with an inrush current limiter called a varistor.

York central tech talk/x-13-motors-what-are-they

A good video from the manufacturer of the motor. If you look to the right in the other listed videos.... you'll see ones for repairing the ECM board.

you tube/watch?v=kFyxOigkh9c

You can also change out the variable speed motor for a PSC type motor and lose the variable speed portion. This type of motor would be under $200.

Old 01-28-16, 10:36 AM
R
Thanks Pete.

What route would you take? I'm mainly looking for whatever would last the longest.

Thanks!
Ryan

Old 01-28-16, 10:48 AM
R
So apparently it IS under warranty, they only quoted $381 for the labor to swap it out. A new motor will be provided by the manufacturer. $381 seems high, looks rather easy to swap out, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Ryan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: