Spraying condenser.

Old 02-04-16, 06:56 AM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Spraying condenser.

I have air con tech doing some work in my house these days installing a electronic filter and hooking up the heat. I had installed a condensation pump last year because I couldn't find a drain anywhere and I was asking him if the installation was good which he says it was when he asked me if I wanted him to hook the pump up to mister which would spray the condenser coils.

He said it'd get me about 20% more cooling power. I'm not sure though, I've never seen that before. Does anyone have something like this?

Old 02-04-16, 07:54 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
20% more cooling is doubtful, especially if all you are using is condensate from the evaporator. What will happen is the condensate will be evaporated by the action of removing heat from the condenser. That means the process is intermittent and when there is not sufficient condensate no additional cooling of the condenser takes place. Further, when the condensing temperature drops so will the condensing pressure and that will upset the whole pressure-temperature relationship of the refrigeration cycle. On the other hand, if you have no place to drain the condensate it is a easy way to get rid of the condensate by evaporation.

Others may disagree with me citing subcooling issues, I'll admit I have been away from air conditioning too many years to fully address all of the ramifications but I wouldn't do it on my system.

Old 02-04-16, 09:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
This will ruin your coils! This is not a viable money saving plan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: