Rheem Heating Problem

Old 02-07-16, 08:08 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Rheem Heating Problem

I have posted before about this new unit which was poorly installed in April of last year. The AC finally got fixed, but now that it is finally cold in Fl. we are having problems with the heat that comes out the vents not being as warm as it should be. I checked the temp going up through the air intake shaft and compared it to what was coming out the vent and there was a 20 degree difference. This is a 2 ton 14 seer unit, and I feel the temp difference should be higher. Am I wrong about that? The installer is going to come out on Monday to look, but I'm not sure I trust him but I don't want to have to pay someone else because he has to honor his 1 year labor warranty. I'm not sure what kind of heating system is in the air handler, but this is not a heat pump unit. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Fritoguy15

Old 02-18-16, 06:42 AM
F
I found out the heating element was only a 7.5 watt unit, so the contractor came out and put in a 10 watt unit. It heats better, but it takes forever to reach the set temperature that we want which is usually 74-76 degrees. I am going to try to get the contractor to get someone from Rheem out to inspect it. Very frustrating!!
Fritoguy15

Old 02-18-16, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
Sorry to have missed your first post.

So you have an A/C system with electric furnace. Unusual for Florida where a heatpump would be the norm. You may be in an area where only minimal heating is normally required. Electric heating.... a heatpump or electric resistance heating is a slow way to heat. It always has been. You cannot expect fast recovery..... it's just not possible without massive heating coils which would require extremely large AC wiring and a big electrical service.

You should look ahead to changing weather temperatures and set the thermostat warmer ahead of time. You should be careful using any type of setback thermostat due to the slow recovery.

Your heating coils were 7.5K (7,500) watt and are now 10k (10,000) watts. To put that in perspective..... that means it will cost you approx $1 an hour to run your heat.

10Kw x approx .10/kw hour = $1.00

Last edited by PJmax; 02-19-16 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-19-16, 06:18 AM
F
Thanks for the information. You are right we live in Central Fl. so we only see a few cold spells like lately. With our sq. ft. only at 1100 this was all we needed for our home.

Fritoguy15

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: