Carrier Tech2000SS 38TUA - compressor won't run

Old 04-18-16, 09:45 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier Tech2000SS 38TUA - compressor won't run

Tried to start our Carrier Tech2000SS 38TUA036310 for the first time and the compressor won't run. The furnace fan is set to be "on" (not auto) and it runs. Also, the outside unit fan is running, so I'm guessing it's getting the proper signal from the thermostat. I measured 240VAC at the contactor (but unfortunately didn't confirm that there is a 24V signal from the thermostat). The unit is about 16 years old and ran well last year. I don't know if it has been serviced in the past, we've only been here a few years and haven't done anything to it.

1. I plan on replacing the contactor and capacitor, more or less as preventative maintenance. Is there anything else that I can/should do?

2. There are two capacitors, one much larger than the other, but the local parts dealer says that Carrier only shows the larger one, and they don't know why the smaller one is there - they say it's not required, yet it's there for some reason (cable tied to the larger one). Is it possibly to give a further boost to help start the compressor motor? Since they only have the larger one, am I better off installing just the larger one, or putting the smaller one back into the circuit as well? The smaller one (if memory serves me) is connected to the contactor and the larger capacitor, if that helps.

Old 04-18-16, 10:24 AM
S
Sounds like someone removed the dual cap and didn't have a exact replacement. It is acceptable to use one cap for the fan and one for the compressor. But I would use a dual cap. It is possible that the other cap is a hard start cap. How many post's are on the cap?

If the fan runs then you are getting 24V from stat.
While your out there I would clean the condenser coil.

Last edited by skaggsje; 04-18-16 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added
Old 04-18-16, 10:50 AM
W
Thank you for the prompt response. Both capacitors have two posts. Will the "dual cap" come with wiring instructions? If not, and I have to replace the two caps I have with the single "dual cap" (which I believe will have three posts?), how do I wire it?

I had already cleaned the coil with a wire brush, but it was very clogged up before I did so. I've added it to my list of things to check periodically.

Old 04-18-16, 01:05 PM
S
No, no wiring diagram will come with the cap. You would be better off buying two cap and wire just like the existing caps. Make sure you get the same MFD. Your right, a dual cap has three posts.

Last edited by skaggsje; 04-18-16 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-18-16, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 34 Posts
If you decide to get a dual cap you should match the two microfarad ratings of the existing capacitors. (So if you have a 45 and a 7.5 microfarad cap you want a 45 / 7.5 by 370VAC or 440VAC capacitor)

Blue connects to "Herm"
Yellow(s) connect to "C"
Brown from the fan (without the stripe) connects to "Fan"

(Tape off the brown wire with a stripe from the fan motor if present)

Carrier usually has great wiring diagrams inside of the service panel.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4772
Size:  45.3 KB

Old 04-18-16, 04:49 PM
Yes I agree 100% since you are replacing both capacitors anyway put it back identical to what it is most likely only the larger one is bad but they are cheap.. I have rental properties with units well over 16 years That ole gal that you have probably has some life left in her...... Will need some extra care now though so keep the coils clean since she is aging.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: