X13 Works, Some-what

Old 04-26-16, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
X13 Works, Some-what

My AC system is acting up. For the most part everything works fine without fail. But recently, the X13 motor will not turn on. The compress would work but without the blower motor, the coils would being to freeze. I began to trouble shoot the problem and here is what I found:

Good 240, Neutral and ground.
Good 24V AC at the motor for control. I can confirm that when I turn the fan on 24V AC is at the motor and 0V when the the switch at the thermostat is in the off position.

My temp fix is this: I can disconnect the power (that big contact in the middle of the unit) for several minutes, re-connect it and everything works fine for several hours.

If I leave the AC of for several hours or one hour, I most pull the disconnect and reinstall it after several minutes to make it work.

As I understand electricity, I have a capacitor issue. I could be wrong though. I have not noticed any external capacitor on the air handler so I'm guessing the problem is internal to the motor.

I called my local HVAC people and they gave me some optimistic news. The motor replacement is under warranty. However, I must pay $40 for troubleshooting, $40 for someone to get the motor, and $270 in labor to replace the motor. So $350 for a motor that will cost $240 to replace or $220 for the control board (plus shipping) does not make sense to me.

I'm not sure what to do. I have a neighbor that will replace the motor for me but he wants $300. If I can take the motor out myself and just swap it out at the Parts House, where ever it may be, I would do so but that is easier said than done.

Can anyone help or direct me in the correct direction, that would be great.

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-16, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Are you referring to the blower motor in the air handler ?
That's an X13 ECM motor....correct ?

The model number of the air handler would be helpful but those motors are expensive to repair or replace. The end cap of the motor, which is what usually fails, runs $300-400. The entire motor runs around $750.

It might be best to get the warranty service done on it to preserve future warranty.

Old 04-29-16, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct.

I am referring to the X13 motor. I cannot get the exact model info because it requires removal of the motor.

Rick