Water under outdoor AC pack, but also in condensate line?

Old 04-29-16, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water under outdoor AC pack, but also in condensate line?

Hello everyone:

I have a combined 2.5 ton AC/Gas heat pack beside my house. Today I noticed that the condensation runoff from the evaporator coil seems to be coming out the bottom of the unit as well as out of the condensation line. The problem seems to be where the PVC condensation line connects to the AC unit.

However, it's a screw in piece and there is no way I can see to unscrew it given the length of the condensation line and the fact that all parts are glued together.

Is there a way I can just dry that area off and seal that connection with some kind of caulk or something? Maybe elastomeric?

Thanks!

EDIT: If not, maybe I can cut between the screw and the rest of the PVC, remove the screw piece, replace it (tightly with some plumbers tape), then reattach the old PVC?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-16, 03:14 PM

Had my phone on me this time, so here is a pic of the offending line. It's a PAIN to get that black female connector out (read: I've never been able to do it), so I assume cutting, unscrewing, re screwing, and gluing will be the quickest route to a good seal here.

My other idea was cut that pipe in the middle between the turn and the screw, take out the screwed in piece, tape it, then re-insert it, then just use a coupler to just put it all back together.

But I will wait for expertise since I have a habit of making it worse before I get advice, lol.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-16, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Normally there would be a trap in that line to keep air from moving thru the pipe and causing a vacuum.

Is that just a short piece of pipe sticking in a drain line ?
Just cut anywhere and replace the parts with new.

I'm still not sure where the water was coming out of the unit.
If the condensate line was plugged then the condensate could overflow the pan and come out anywhere.

Old 04-29-16, 06:02 PM
Yes, that piece comes out, turns down into a trap below dirt level, then has a straight shot 2+ ft. out. Would there be a little water at the end even if it was clogged? Is this screw in thing normal, and is the threaded end of it easy to buy at like a Lowes?

Old 04-29-16, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
The PVC parts are available at all home centers. It just 3/4" PVC.

You could remove the service access cover there and check out the pan from the inside.

Old 04-29-16, 07:13 PM
You know, I never have removed that panel, I always just clean from the other side. But I just realized, if the condensate line is attached I could just pull it all off as one unit and check, right? I never removed it because I could not get the condensate line detached, lol.

Edit: by the other side I mean the panel to the left of that one. The other side of the evaporator coil.

Last edited by noah3d; 04-29-16 at 08:04 PM.