Trane XL1200

Old 06-03-16, 01:07 PM
Trane XL1200

I have a Trane XL1200 system that works flawlessly in the heat position. Oddly enough, in the cooling position, I think the air handler may be possessed. When operating in cooling mode, the fan runs as expected when the condenser is running and shortly after the condenser stops. Later, the fan starts up and may barely run enough for you to hear it or it may run for a few seconds. When it does this, it typically cycles three or four times with the fan coming on for random short periods. I just can't figure why it is only in the cooling mode or why it functions fine while the condenser is running.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-16, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Is this a heat pump system or do you have a gas furnace ?

Old 06-03-16, 02:00 PM
Please post the FULL model number of your furnace/air handler.

Does this unit have a variable speed blower? If so, it could be that there is some other programming that is causing this action and it is entirely normal.

Old 06-04-16, 10:11 AM
It is a heat pump system. I can not get to the model number just yet as it is under the house. When the fan works normally, you can hear the click at the thermostat that activates the fan and condenser. When it decides to act up, there is no click at the thermostat and that leads me to think that there is a board or relay issue under the house. Of course, it would have to be just on the AC circuit side.

Old 06-04-16, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Your thermostat clicks because it uses relays to control the circuits. If you don't hear the click the problem is the stat. Low batteries in the stat can cause that problem.

Old 06-04-16, 12:30 PM
PJ, it works fine except when the blower is coming on by itself. This would indicate that the intermittent blower activations are not coming from the thermostat, but something inside the air handler. Also, the fact that it doesn't happen on the heat setting points away from the thermostat. I will do as suggested though and verify the battery condition.

Old 06-04-16, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Ahhh..ok. You hear the blower run but no click. That would suggest that the stat is not the cause of the problem.

There is some type of blower relay/timer board that may be the problem. Once we have the model number we can look into it.

Old 08-17-16, 03:31 PM
Obviously, it is not a huge issue or I would have gotten the model number sooner.
TWE060D150A1
BAY98X1410
The unit works fine in the heat cycle and only does this when on cooling. It is very random in time that it happens as well as the duration the fan runs. As of today, unrelated to this issue, I have replaced the condenser fan motor and air handler fan motor - both died this week and not on the same day. Hence the reason to be under the house to get the MN.

Last edited by clhaggett; 08-17-16 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 02:46 AM
Update time. The issue is still not resolved and I honestly have not done much with it.
Thermostat replaced - same issue
Air handler fan still turns on and off very randomly when condenser is not running. Perfectly normal when condenser runs
Seems to act up more in cooler weather when unit is in less demand
Does not act up in heat mode
Can turn fan on at the thermostat and it will run normal
Does anything from the condenser tell the fan to run or just the board in the air handler?

Old 10-13-17, 04:44 AM
Any suggestions. Oddly enough, this can go for hours or even days and work fine, then all of the sudden act up for a few days to a week.