A/C condensate line completely clogged

Old 06-04-16, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C condensate line completely clogged

My AC condensate line is severely clogged. I've been trying to suck out the line from outside, but it isn't working. It sucks hard and a strong suction can be felt from the condensate line that is connected to the water heater drain pan, but nothing makes it to the connection to the AC condensate line.

Everytime I suck dry the AC condensate line, I've also been treating it with a fourth of a cup of bleach. The clog remains and it slowly fills up with water. If you wait long enough the line fills and then the AC drain pan fills and trips the unit.

When I suck the line from outside it is pulling hard on the line to the water heater, but does nothing to the clogged AC condensate line. Any ideas or suggestions on how to clear a stubborn clog like this?

Im using a 6.5 HP shop vac and tried using a hose to push up. It just ended up filling the water heater pan somewhat and didn't do anything noticeable to the clog leading to the AC line.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-16, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What does the A/C condensate line have to do with the heater drain pan ??
They aren't usually connected together.

Old 06-04-16, 08:03 PM
Usually AC drain line is separated from the water heater drain line. Are you sure you are working on the AC line ? The right way to do this : use an air compressor to blow the AC line from the air handler end. Most of the newer AC systems connect the primary AC drain line directly to the plumbing system of your house, you won't even see the other end.

Old 06-05-16, 06:59 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I ended up adding more bleach and blowing it down the condensate line. I did that a few times in about 15 min for about a cup and a half of bleach. Then next time I checked it the clog was fixed.

I added another cup or so of bleach for good measure after noticing the clog was fixed. I'll just let the AC and bleach run its course like normal. The main thing now is that I regularly maintain a clean condensate line rather than waiting until it is too late.

Thank you again for your help. Yes, I thought it was strange that the drain for the water heater pan connects to the AC condensate line too. It is a worthwhile question to ask if I am working on the same line because you never know what people are doing or what level of understanding they have.