Accessing the evaporator coil on attic unit?

Old 06-05-16, 09:24 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessing the evaporator coil on attic unit?

Unit has this marking on it:

TXC030C4HPC0

It is attached to a Trane XR80. Here is a picture of the entire unit:

Name:  HVAC.jpg
Views: 16785
Size:  49.1 KB

Nothing that looks like an access panel to the AC portion isn't taped. Will I have to remove the tape and replace it when I clean the coils? I wanted to check to clean them because I am having higher humidity than normal and thought that may be a contributing factor. It hasn't been cleaned in 4 years (bad, I know).

I also don't see a filter in that furnace if that matters... but there are filters out in the returns in the hall, so maybe it doesn't need an internal one?

Thanks!

Old 06-05-16, 09:58 AM
S
If you have filters in the returns, then you don't need one at the furnace. If you have changed the filters every 2-3 months, then no need to clean the evap coil.

Old 06-05-16, 10:00 AM
N
Gotcha. Well, I do change my filters but my other outdoor unit did need to be cleaned so I figured the attic unit would need it as well.

Old 06-05-16, 10:07 AM
S
I clean my condenser coil twice a year. I never clean my evap coil. If your having humidity problems check the delta T at the furnace. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-05-16, 10:13 AM
N
I think my condenser coils are outside on the first floor. I should probably give those a clean too. They are the type that looks like a metal pipe cleaner all wrapped around in a big tube.

Old 06-05-16, 10:16 AM
S
Yes the outside unit is the condenser.

Old 06-05-16, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,196 Likes on 2,871 Posts
Be very careful when cleaning a coil. The fins bend very easily and hard to straighten.

I feel sorry for people with their furnaces/air handlers in an attic. What a thoughtful place to put it considering it needs to be serviced. Actually I service a few of them.

I drew in red where your coil would be. There may be a cover there but that would be the outlet side of the coil. You need to look at the inlet side of the coil. The easiest way to do that is to open the blower door, remove the blower assembly and look thru the furnace at the coil.

Name:  HVAC.jpg
Views: 8160
Size:  22.4 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: