Wrapping Trane XR13 with hardware cloth

Old 06-11-16, 08:45 AM
T
Received 39 Votes on 37 Posts
Wrapping Trane XR13 with hardware cloth

Earlier I posted some questions on my Trane XR13 A/C unit. In the end, the problem was mice or chipmunks that got into the unit, built a nest, and chewed things up. I made a decision to wrap the unit in 1/4" hardware cloth. I got the stuff and am almost finished with the vertical wrap but have become concerned.

The vertical wrap is going around the sides where air enters. My question is will wrapping the unit in fairly tight (1/4") hardware cloth impede airflow into the unit to the coils in a meaningful way?

Alternatively, I can remove what I've done and limit my work to the area where pipes and wires enter, which is probably where critters got in anyway.

Old 06-11-16, 01:33 PM
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
I'm not familiar with the term "hardware cloth". However, you don't want to do anything that will restrict airflow through the condenser coil in the outside unit. I would limit your work to the areas outside of the condenser coil.

Old 06-11-16, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,398 Votes on 1,295 Posts
Hardware typically comes in a 1/4" square opening format.
That in itself is probably ok but might compound problems with "stuff" getting caught.

Name:  hc.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  8.2 KB

Old 06-12-16, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
A way to monitor the effect of the screen on the airconditioner is to check the temperature of the refrigerant liquid line.
The liquid line is the smaller tube that leaves the condensing unit.
The design temperature of the liquid line when the unit is operating normally is about 100 degF.
If you were to feel this line when the unit is running it would not have any noticeable warmness to it and feel like objects near the ac unit.
With the screen installed you should still not feel any noticeable heat on the line.

Old 06-12-16, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Be careful not to blow grass clippings toward it. The larger openings on the unit will allow for self expulsion of smaller particles where the hardware cloth may tend to clog.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: